Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
supercharger

apparently its for the 3.0 duratec, maybe even a sho. at the price its currently goin for, id say its a great price

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
IF it works.. No feedback or any way of verifying its good. Risky

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Hi Kermit,

I'm quite sure that it was made by Vortech. It was spec'd for a Cougar but
I had it on a Taurus with a 3.0L automatic. With the pulley that I'm
selling with it, it ran up to 9psi. I'm sure that a smaller pulley would
run it up higher. Also, on a 2.5L the boost would naturally be higher due
to the lower displacement. Thanks for your interest.

That is a response to my e-mail that I sent the seller. I asked if the jackshaft was made by Vortech and what car he was running it on..... so .. BID!! Or someone can buy it for me.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
it looks like the same exact setup used by the guys who have s/c sho's...the s/c is mounted on the drivers side of the engine compartment but it has a shaft running to the accesory belt side of the engine and that's how the s/c is drivena pretty simple setup but it's hard to mount it and barely enough space so it's a very tight fit

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Gen IV water pump is located in the back of the engine. In researching this I have found a few turbos for the 2.5L and 3.0L Duratecs (SVT Contours and Cougars).

·
Registered
151 Posts
someone on here get this damn the price for a decent vortech like that is a STEAL!!!!!!! I wish I had a tec' then I would for sure....damn!!!!!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Originally posted by Tman@Jan 20 2004, 12:31 AM
it looks like the same exact setup used by the guys who have s/c sho's...the s/c is mounted on the drivers side of the engine compartment but it has a shaft running to the accesory belt side of the engine and that's how the s/c is drivena pretty simple setup but it's hard to mount it and barely enough space so it's a very tight fit
The FPS s/c kit for the Gen I/II uses a jackshaft,as does the Gen III kit from SHOFast.The SHO Shop kit does not.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Ok well I contacted the owner again and he said it was on a 2001 Ford Taurus Duratec He wasn't sure of the HP gain but "It sure melted the tires". This kit for the Cougar runs at almost $5G but comes with everything. I found there is also a kit for the cougar that is a TURBO made by Streetflight. I am sending pictures of my engine bay to them soon and they will see if it looks the same or if it will be too tight to mount the blower on the tranny or not.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Wiked Awsome! Now THAT is what I've been waiting to see. Do we know who makes this thing? Can they (we) get more of them? I'm cracing a supercharged 'tec!

Hey, do supercharger use oil lines like turbos, or do they not run fast enough to worry about that? Can you install ceramic barrings in them that don't need oil?

now correct me if I'm wrong, but basically, you install these components, run your piping, slap a low boost pully on it and get your chip tuned and you're basically up and running, right? Then, as you want to push higher PSI, you replace bottle necks such as Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pumps, FPR, MSD ignition, etc.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I'm lookin' at it from the point of someone not really to drop 4K into thier car. I would think that buying or having made a 4 PSI pully would be a lot cheaper then upgrading everything on your engine so you can run 9 - 12 PSI. The way to do it I think is to go low PSI as a sort of "proof of concept" You'll get some extra HP, but more importantly, you'll have a working system. Then you can just replace pieces as you can afford it. Like replace the Fuel Pump, Fuel Injectors, and ignition... THEN get your chip retuned and get a smaller pully.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
The seller is not the installer but he said he thinks it's from a cogar/contour kit. The kit with everything is $4995, there's also a turbo setup close to this that is around that price range too, but I was told it would be very likely that it would NOT fit.

D

·
0 Posts
well, I gave it a running try. Got outbid in the end. My last bid was $830+. I'm sure I could have made it work on my Gen 4. Well, back to the drawing boards.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Doc,
with a jack shaft of the right length and another centrifigul blower, you should be able to make your own kit, right?

-Dan

D

·
0 Posts
Basically. I wasn't sure if that specific shaft would fit or not but I wanted the supercharger. I can always get shafts and pulley mounts made. There is obviously more required to get a system up and running but those are the main pieces. Those same chargers are $1876 new so I figured even if it needed rebuilding it would still be lower cost than a new one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
would it be impossible to pull the exhaust side off of a turbo and use it's blower, mounted to a shaft driven off your accessory belt and use it as a supercharger? I know that most turbo's run at much higher rpm's than sc's, but it's still an idea: turbos are a lot cheaper, and they have a small shaft connecting the exhaust turbine and compressor.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Originally posted by zja@Jan 24 2004, 09:11 AM
would it be impossible to pull the exhaust side off of a turbo and use it's blower, mounted to a shaft driven off your accessory belt and use it as a supercharger? I know that most turbo's run at much higher rpm's than sc's, but it's still an idea: turbos are a lot cheaper, and they have a small shaft connecting the exhaust turbine and compressor.
It wouldn't be impossible, but kind of pointless (no harm meant by that statement at all). As you already mentioned a turbo runs at much much higer RPMs than the engine is going to turn, so you would not get that much boost. If you had just a little bit of fabrication skills, and some time, and a little bit of money, you could make a turbo setup on a bull without TOO much difficulty. I'm not sure what you would do in the way of transmission and halfshafts, but as for fuel management and everything i can be done without too much trouble given a good little peice of money.

D

·
0 Posts
would it be impossible to pull the exhaust side off of a turbo and use it's blower, mounted to a shaft driven off your accessory belt and use it as a supercharger? I know that most turbo's run at much higher rpm's than sc's, but it's still an idea: turbos are a lot cheaper, and they have a small shaft connecting the exhaust turbine and compressor.[/b]
That is actually a project that I am currently working on in my shop. This is something Bob and I started working on a few months ago. No pics yet.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts