Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm sure all you long time members have already began rolling your eyes.

I just looked in the service CD to check on the stock water pump.

Why, you ask? Here is my idea...

If you look at the arrangement of the engine bay on a duratec engine, we find that the belts are on one side and the intake is on the other. As we've discussed before, this causes a problem. Hood clearence is another problem. Here is an idea though.

I've seen that you can get electronic water pumps. They run on the car's charging system rather then the belts. Race vehicles often use these as they are less parasidic in nature.

At first I shot this idea down because I thought that the water pump fed directly into the engine block. After I read the ford service CD for replacing the water pump, it sounds like it in fact has an input and an output hose and does't bolt it's output directly to the block. This means that after removing a few bolts, you can easily replace the water pump with an electric one and suddenly you have room for a centrifugal charger right there on your engine block.

You can get your air charge from the passanger side of the car and just run a tube to the MAF on the driver's side. You could even put an intercooler somewhere in the front of the car along the way to the intake.

So does anyone see problems with this?

-Dan

-Dan

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Sounds resonable to me. The only problem is finding a pump made for constant use. Most electric pumps say "For race use only". But like Silvapain said, anything is possible.

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I put a new water pump on mine last fall, and having heard of the electric pumps from the Contour people, the blower idea also occured to me. We'd still need to pick a location for the electric pump, fabricate mountings for it and route the coolant hoses over there. We'd need mountings for the blower and routing for the intake piping to get over to the intake. We'd also need to decide where to put the intake filter. I wouldn't want to get the piping all the way back to the driver side fenderwell, but the passenger side fenderwell has the windshield wiper fluid reservoir, but maybe there's room below. We might need to put a scoop in the hood anyway :D

Time and money

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At least on my 2000 Duratec, the water pump is on the PASSANGER side. It's right above the AC compressor I believe.

-Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by dant98@Jul 22 2004, 02:57 PM
At least on my 2000 Duratec, the water pump is on the PASSANGER side. It's right above the AC compressor I believe.

-Dan
hey dan, where'd you get this diagram?

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
oh, and about mounting brackets, etc...with a EWP like the one in dan's link, you don't even really need to mount it because of it's ultra lightweight. wow, if you took off the stock pump, how much weight could you save by bypassing the entire setup?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the diagram from the 2000 Ford service CD. I imagine the stock water pump is probably 20 or 30 lbs, don't you think? The e-pump would be lighter and less parasidic.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Remember, you can lead a horse to water, but you have to be damned determined to drown that bastard.

Anyway, did you notice that the EWP looks a supercharger. Maybe you could hook that to the intake. :lol2:

But seriously. Do you have to keep the AC or are you willing to go without. If you removed all the AC components I don't think it would a problem at all to install a centrifugal SC.

I also thought about the shaft idea you talk about. What if you flipped the centrifugal SC around, mounted it in the fender, and ran a shaft to one of the pulleys or to a new pully?

I still think the easiest way to go is a turbo. It is all about piping. You can basically mount it anywhere you can run tubing. I've seen some pretty crazy engine bays in Sport Compact Car magazine. Anything is possible with the right amount of determination.

-Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
does not supply enough room for a supercharger. Plus if you were putting it on that side, you could just flip it around like the gen 2 supercharger and make life much easier. Plus the cost of an EWP and controller is several hundred dollars Plus plumbing and heating issues. EWP's suck....

Sorry to shoot down the idea, but not worth it as there are better options already availible.

Brad

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Expecially with the large auto tranny, there isn't a lot of room to run turbo piping. A cool idea, but it will be a lot of twists and turns all right. I think you always want to keep the SC mounted to the block so it moves with the engine. Remember the engine can move quite a bit on it's mounts, expecially with the type of torque numbers you'll get from boost.

I haven't entirely figure out how you go about mounting a centrifigul charger. It's got the inlet on the side and the output on top, or vise versa. You need to mount it so the pully lines up with the serpentine belt. Do one of the pipes go between the SC and the block, or does the mounting bracket go past the belt and bolt to the other side of the supercharger? I'm confused

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
almost always point out the back. Either way, theres NOT enough room for any supercharger there.

Yes the block moves in relation to the frame, but that has not stoped the gen 2 shos what move almost twice as much as a gen 3 ever will.

You discuss alot about superchargers, so why don't you do research about them, decide with one you like based on Characteristics and make it work, rather than trying to find one thats gonna "bolt up". :blink:

Not tryin to rip on you, but you are going about this backword. Its like trying to make a pie and not know which one you wanna make. :p

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
After the horse is buried....

Anyways, on the 02+ tec's the water pump was moved to the drivers side right next to the air intake. You may want to research on how to switch cams or something to get the supercharger to work off of the cam on the drivers side. Just an idea to look into..... B)

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Jul 22 2004, 11:02 PM

Anyways, on the 02+ tec's the water pump was moved to the drivers side right next to the air intake. You may want to research on how to switch cams or something to get the supercharger to work off of the cam on the drivers side. Just an idea to look into..... B)
See, that's what I was thinking about. I thought all gen4's had a seperate belt for the water pump, but I guess it's just 02's and up.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Jul 22 2004, 07:37 PM
does not supply enough room for a supercharger. Plus if you were putting it on that side, you could just flip it around like the gen 2 supercharger and make life much easier. Plus the cost of an EWP and controller is several hundred dollars Plus plumbing and heating issues. EWP's suck....
Only on one side ;)

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Originally posted by sfblacksel@Jul 23 2004, 12:02 AM

honestly, i the cam runs too slow to properly run a supercharger, and i would not want to put that much strain on a cam and chain. Plus ford has a reputation of ****** cam designs to begin with.

Brad

1 - 20 of 122 Posts