Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

First of all, I'm still not sure if I'm going to go through with this at all, but I have done some initial research, footwork and even if I don't do it, someone might be inspired to give it a shot.

I've been thinking long an hard about how we could get a Gen 3 or 4 supercahrged. It keeps comming down to at least some degree of pretty custom work. After talking with several people we've though of a rather wild idea to get these cars running boosted.

We know DMX has a functional 3.8 Supercharged taurus, so conceptually, this is pretty sound.

The basic idea:

Get a 2001+ Windstar 3.8 block

Add new cams (forged if you can).

Forged pistons if you want

Use '99+ V6 Mustang heads... bore these out to reduce boost needed. Use good quality head gasket (Am tols Ford now offers a 3 layer headgasket that is supposed to be THE best to date)

Add Supercoupe manifold and blower

Use the same external connections

Tune and have fun!

Obviously we're a tad simplified here, but here is the reasoning...

First of all, the Windstar is FWD and I believe available with the AX4N tranny. I'd imagine an AX4S would bolt up too. Still have to verrify motor mounts though.

The engine will be under boost, so the more forged parts you can afford, the better.

Apparently the '99 mustang heads should allow the SC intake to bolt on. Then you strap the blower on and get an engine swap done.

Since it's still a V6, the stock PCM can be tuned to run the 3.8 motor.

OK, so now that I've spilled the beans... someone take the idea and run with it!

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also wanted to mention, if you wanted to do this in steps... According to the specs on the Windstar, if you droped a windstar engine in the taurus, that alone adds 40 Ft/lbs of torque to a duratec... bringing it up to 200 HP and 240 ft/lbs. Add some N/A tuning and you probably have 215 HP, 250 ft/lbs potential.

When you add the boost, I could see 300ish HP very likely and at least as much torque.

-Dan

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't think a 3.8 would fit in a gen 3 or 4 engine compartment. I know they are a real tight fit in gen 1 and 2's, and isn't the compartment even smaller in 3's and 4's?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The Duratec is bigger than the Essex. Remember that one picture of the 4.6L V8 compared to the 5.0L V8? Just imagine that 4.6L as the Duratec and the 5.0L as the Essex.

And I think the Windstar comes with the AX4S as an option and that one tranny that can handle more torque (forgot what they call it).

I think that would be amazing if someone could put all that in a G4. Only problem I see is that the supercharger might not allow the hood to close at all.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Jul 2 2004, 04:29 PM
Only problem I see is that the supercharger might not allow the hood to close at all.
Hoods... We don't need no stinkin' Hoods :lol2:

Sorry couldn't resist ( :what: Right over the heads of some of our younger members ;) )

But seriously, if someone were to spend this much money on this project i don't see why they couldn't make a special hood with a cowl or raised middle section of the hood to correct this.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Originally posted by hightecredneck@Jul 2 2004, 05:49 PM
Hoods... We don't need no stinkin' Hoods :lol2:

Sorry couldn't resist ( :what: Right over the heads of some of our younger members ;) )
You'd have to have your head pretty far down a hole for that one to go over it.

Badges?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Oh but i'm sure there are some out there ;)

Cool website btw.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
LOTS and LOTS of mis-information in your post..

the 99+ split port heads will not work with the single port SC intake manifold.. if you are using an SC manifold you have to use pre-99 single port heads.

You don't bore heads, you use dished pistons to lower compression, why would you forge a camshaft? and the 3.8L is an OHV design so there is only one cam..

Any 96+ split port windstar block would work. Actually, any FWD 3.8L would, but the spi windstar blocks are stronger.

I'd say go for it.. But you have a lot more research to do, and a lot to learn yet!

Jeramie

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
id love to see a 3.8l in a gen 3/4 as they are taller....plus the addition of a superhcarger....im not sure it will fit...

Brad

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Looks like its just a gathering of information at this point - which believe me is a GOOD thing. I spent many months asking, searching, checking out pictures before I even attempted to put the blower on.

I think I rambled on about too many blower types and engine types and just added to the confusion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts