Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I have a supercharger out of a 91 super coupe. Can I make it fit on a 2001 taurus and if so can someone help me out on making brakets and what to take off of the car?????
[/b]
I can help you. What you need?

·
Registered
56 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
I have a supercharger out of a 91 super coupe. Can I make it fit on a 2001 taurus and if so can someone help me out on making brakets and what to take off of the car?????
[/b]
I can help you. What you need?
[/b][/quote]

Where are you in Los Angeles? I'm in Woodland Hills, the San Fernando Valley. Is that nearby?

·
Registered
731 Posts
LOL all the ATXs and AX4Ns that are going to get blown to pieces over this mod :rofl2:
Which is always the major controversy over here since our transmissions are crap.

Supercharged 3.0 you gotta manual transmission?

Always loved the probes, still thinking about a Gen 2 GT myself, but wouldnt it just be easier swapping out the vulcan engine with the turbo engine from the gen 1?

Still sad i passed up a 95 KLZE GTS a while back in black with silver stripes myself. Wish i had snagged it when i had the chance.

good idea with the supercharger, was watchin your Youtube a while back when i was researching the probes myself.

Also pretty sure the ranger guys beat any of us all to M90 Supercharger on the vulcan unless im mixing up with the 4.0L Still a very innovative idea.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Supercharged 3.0 you gotta manual transmission?

[/b]
The fastest Taurus in the country is a turbo ATX sho. I think a vulcan with a blower wont shred an auto like you think it would.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
If nobody done it on Vulcan engines, i can build some SC kits for Tauruses, if someone will asking me.
[/b]
It has been tried many times before, myself included. As far as Taurus SC, we have not have real success yet.
As far as vulcan engines, yes. Do some searching throught the internet and you will find Rangers, Mazda trucks and some minivans with SC Vulcan engines. It has been done before.

There are several issues besides money and time. I will say our transmission is the biggest of the all. Your choice; upgrade the trans, which is a custom work (expensive but worth every penny) or your best choice ............ go manual, which in itself is another big problem.

Space is not much of an issue and strongly recommend to move your battery to the trunk for addl space. Location of the SC is a dilemma but not a problem. Your are going to custom make brakets no matter what you do. To place it on top of the engine there was a kit used by some of the ranger guys ( do some e-search) or you can go custom. you will have to modified the hood for clearance. For a cleaner look you can place it where the battery is and extend the shaft to the front of the engine. We placed pics of this set up in here before.

Besides custom, I found some info regarding a few guys using Mazda manual trans on Vulcan (non - taurus) the info is not very clear so I am still searching. The reason I am persuing this avenue is because there is a larger aftermarket for this trans and they have proved to be very reliable under intense abuse.

there is also the internal parts but that is another subject all together. Our engine is a mule engine but it has its limits.

I am SOCAL too. Currently San Bernardino but moving back to LA in a couple of months, perhaps we can joint forces and make it a reality.

LUCKY B)

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Wow very pesimistic views.

Yes the ATX isnt the greatest but it can be rebuilt to handle quite a lot. Just check out the S/C and Turbo ATX SHOs.

To convert to manual you can go to the SHO MTX for the Vulcan but you will need the SCt to take care of the fact that there is no ATX.

Lucky what other trans are you refering too?

Yes for a S/C you would need brackets weither it be centrifical (no hood clearnace issues) or roots. It can be done.

You can also go turbo as well.

Its all very possible, some one jsut needs to do it.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Wow very pesimistic views.

Yes the ATX isnt the greatest but it can be rebuilt to handle quite a lot. Just check out the S/C and Turbo ATX SHOs.

To convert to manual you can go to the SHO MTX for the Vulcan but you will need the SCt to take care of the fact that there is no ATX.

Lucky what other trans are you refering too?

Yes for a S/C you would need brackets weither it be centrifical (no hood clearnace issues) or roots. It can be done.

You can also go turbo as well.

Its all very possible, some one jsut needs to do it.
[/b]

I'll not call it pesimistics as much as realistic. I have been working on the "SC - Manual" for way over a year now and it is not an easy project to accomplish. Every time I though I figure it out, something else came out and was back to square one. I am saying this so everyone realize the magnitud of the project. The Taurus MTX is a great choice but unfortunately is becoming a rare jewel to own and parts in general are hard to find. Aftermarket is very limited. I will let you know about the mazda trans being used on Vulcan engines as soon as as can get some solid data. So far looks like a decent alternative. I just following a lead, that's all.

MOst Ranger people I have talked to prefered the SC over Turbo. I do not exactly why but THey appear to know what they are talking about. Turbo Vulcans are rare as far as I can tell. ( I only recalled one)

I do believe is possible and it will be acomplish. it just a matter of time ( and money).

Lucky. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You might get more help if you tell what your secret is. I would be curious as to which transmission it is.

It might be like the SHO. All SHO owners like S/C becasue that is what kit was put out by the SHOshop, which is the same case for the Ranger I belive. Both are just as capable of producing power. For the turbo you dont have to worry about belts or even much in the way of brackets. This is why it is used a lot in 1 off forced induction upgrades.

The SHO MTX may be hard to get parts for but it dosent need them thatoften. You can still get parts that wear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will say that I would really love it for a turbo instructions guide for the duratec. I know that a lof of other people have said they would put one on and never do but I plan that when I get out of school I will land a decent job. I will have extra money which I can invest into purchasing some sort of turbo kit. Thats in two years... Wishful thinking maybe? I hope it becomes a reality.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
You might get more help if you tell what your secret is. I would be curious as to which transmission it is.

It might be like the SHO. All SHO owners like S/C becasue that is what kit was put out by the SHOshop, which is the same case for the Ranger I belive. Both are just as capable of producing power. For the turbo you dont have to worry about belts or even much in the way of brackets. This is why it is used a lot in 1 off forced induction upgrades.

The SHO MTX may be hard to get parts for but it dosent need them thatoften. You can still get parts that wear.
[/b]
Matt there is no secret. I am following a lead of some guys using a MTX mazda with upgrades with Vulcan engines. That is what I stated before. I also stated the details are not very clear so I am trying to find add'l info. I would like to try to contact them. The write up is over a year old, so I am not sure they are still around. so no secrets here, just following a lead.

The MTX IV is NOT plug and play for Gen 3 cars. I found more than one thing does not add up. It is all about fitting the unit properly. I have a couple of friends helping me with some possible solutions but so far it has not left the drawing board. The BEST solution will be finding the elusive 1992 Tempo GLS Coupe with the Vulcan and MTX IV option and see how it was put together. Other alternatives are the 1992 Topaz LTS and 1992 Topaz XR5 with the same option. One thing is for sure, besides the transmission and related hardware the MTX subframe is required. SCT obviously. other parts do not fit properly even tho they look very similar, so we are trying to determine the best approach. Modifying the SHO parts to fit the the car or modifying the Gen 3 parts to fit the transmission. :glare:

As stated before it will get done and done right. As with most people, money and time are limited but is priority in my list. Second to that is FI/supercharging and with that the 3.3 Morana kit. :x:

I like the turbo idea but unfortunately there not much data/info to go on. Turbo vulcans are very rare. Turbo will probably be easier but without knowing the effect of turbo on Vulcans, I feel somewhat hesitant to try it. I talked to the garrett people sometime back and they suggested the T3/T4 combo. I have the info they mailed to me somewhere in my garage.

The MTX IV is our best and only option, no doubt but if there is something better I would like to know before there is no way back. :thumb:

Lucky B)

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
The mazda transmission is in the five speed probes already IIRC.

Why won't the SHO transmission fit??

You do realize that it has been mated to a 3.8 in a G1, and a 3L in a G2, right?

Are you hoping that you can just come up with some concoction of bastardized parts that will bolt together with no modification?

And another thing, the MTX-IV is not used on the tempo.

The biggest problem you will have using the MTX-IV is running the jackshaft for the passenger side front wheel.

You need to modify the transmission mount or fabricate a new one to bolt it to the frame of the car.

Considering the Subframes Gens 1-4 can all be easily interchanged, I fail to see why you think its so difficult to get it to fit.

Who is on your team? Maybe you are doing your research in all the wrong places?

And all these differences you speak of. Not really sure they even exist. Since everything seems to have an element of secrecy, why bother commenting at all?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Matt there is no secret. I am following a lead of some guys using a MTX mazda with upgrades with Vulcan engines. That is what I stated before. I also stated the details are not very clear so I am trying to find add'l info. I would like to try to contact them. The write up is over a year old, so I am not sure they are still around. so no secrets here, just following a lead.
[/b]
Yes there is a secret here. You have yet to reveal what transmission it is, what car its from etc.... Again if you told us maybe some one can help. The SHO transmission is a Mazda tranny.

I can help as well. I am engineer so I do know how to do some stuff.

The MTX IV is NOT plug and play for Gen 3 cars. I found more than one thing does not add up. It is all about fitting the unit properly. I have a couple of friends helping me with some possible solutions but so far it has not left the drawing board. The BEST solution will be finding the elusive 1992 Tempo GLS Coupe with the Vulcan and MTX IV option and see how it was put together. Other alternatives are the 1992 Topaz LTS and 1992 Topaz XR5 with the same option. One thing is for sure, besides the transmission and related hardware the MTX subframe is required. SCT obviously. other parts do not fit properly even tho they look very similar, so we are trying to determine the best approach. Modifying the SHO parts to fit the the car or modifying the Gen 3 parts to fit the transmission. :glare:
[/b]
The tempo came with the MTX III which is the weaker cousin of the MTX IV. IF they came with the MTX IV it is rare.

The SHO MTX would be the closest matching as it is designed for the Taurus and the Gen3 subframe is similar. You wouldn't have to modify much to get it to fit. Probably just weld on a spot o mount the MTX mount and you would be doing okay.

As stated before it will get done and done right. As with most people, money and time are limited but is priority in my list. Second to that is FI/supercharging and with that the 3.3 Morana kit. :x:

I like the turbo idea but unfortunately there not much data/info to go on. Turbo vulcans are very rare. Turbo will probably be easier but without knowing the effect of turbo on Vulcans, I feel somewhat hesitant to try it. I talked to the garrett people sometime back and they suggested the T3/T4 combo. I have the info they mailed to me somewhere in my garage.

The MTX IV is our best and only option, no doubt but if there is something better I would like to know before there is no way back. :thumb:

Lucky B) [/b]
So? A turbo setup is easier to do and just about any shop can do the install. I can tell you the Vulcan will make more power!

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

You do realize that it has been mated to a 3.8 in a G1, and a 3L in a G2, right?

Are you hoping that you can just come up with some concoction of bastardized parts that will bolt together with no modification?

The biggest problem you will have using the MTX-IV is running the jackshaft for the passenger side front wheel.

You need to modify the transmission mount or fabricate a new one to bolt it to the frame of the car.

Considering the Subframes Gens 1-4 can all be easily interchanged, I fail to see why you think its so difficult to get it to fit.

And all these differences you speak of. Not really sure they even exist. Since everything seems to have an element of secrecy, why bother commenting at all?
[/b]

Zeptoplix, I know you enjoy controversy and that is OK with me but please read before you flame at me.

1. It does fit. I never said otherwise. It does not fit "as it should" on gen 3 cars. Trust me here.

2. I realized it was mate to Gen 1 and 2 cars but there is no Gen 3 Manual AT ALL and this is where the problem is. As you probably realize my car is a Gen 3 and some part EVEN THO SIMILAR THEY ARE NOT THE SAME and some modification are require to make it FIT PROPERLY.

3. 1992 GLS Tempo with a Vulcan and a MTX IV was an OPTION PACKAGE. It is VERY rare but there are a few up there. It was only produced in 1992. That is ALL the info I have.

4. and you are 100% right. The biggest problem is running the jackshaft for the passenger side front wheel which is one of the parts I am talking about.

5. Subframe is not a problem. You need the MTX subframe period.

LUcky

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Some one has fit a MTX IV onto a 3.4 V8 for a manual converstion. So it can be done.

Even if you can find the MTX IV in a Tempo it is probably the same as the SHO MTX.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The SHO MTX won't fit without clearancing the framerail of the car substantially, or perhaps with the Vulcan the motor/trans mounts could be shifted toward the passenger's side to gain some clearance for the trans on the driver's side.

Lucky, you may very well be right about the MTX subframe being the best choice, unless you have a way to chop off the current mounting points on the subframe and re-weld them where you need them. Being able to fabricate some things yourself will save you a lot of money and make things a lot easier.

One thing you may want to look into for your jackshaft dilemma is using an MTX SHO rear mount/ps pump bracket. The jackshaft hanger bearing bolts to this mount, and going from memory it should bolt onto the Vulcan block.

Just throwing some ideas out, not sure if this stuff has been covered or not.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The SHO MTX won't fit without clearancing the framerail of the car substantially, or perhaps with the Vulcan the motor/trans mounts could be shifted toward the passenger's side to gain some clearance for the trans on the driver's side.
[/b]
Would you say the clearancing done to the subframe weakens it enough to just go ahead and use a g1/2 mtx subframe, or does the clearancing even cause any loss in structural integrity? (since folks are so attached to the more sturdy g3 frame)

On a g3/4, you wouldn't be able to scoot the vulcan over any more towards the passenger side, on the subframe. There is barely an inch of clearance between the wheel well and the pulleys. Perhaps if you wanted to start cutting into the wheel well, then it might be possible, but I guess it depends on just how much you'd have to move it all to get the transmission to fit correctly.

This all intrigues me. Mostly because I was considering swapping a 5-speed into my car. However, it will be getting a Rudedog-built ax4s w/ high stall. Now I'm more interested in the process of an mtx-75 or mtx-IV swap into a v8 car (my next toy). Either way, it would involve the butchery of a g3/4 subframe.

·
Premium Member
5,179 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Zeptoplix, I know you enjoy controversy and that is OK with me but please read before you flame at me.

1. It does fit. I never said otherwise. It does not fit "as it should" on gen 3 cars. Trust me here.

2. I realized it was mate to Gen 1 and 2 cars but there is no Gen 3 Manual AT ALL and this is where the problem is. As you probably realize my car is a Gen 3 and some part EVEN THO SIMILAR THEY ARE NOT THE SAME and some modification are require to make it FIT PROPERLY.

3. 1992 GLS Tempo with a Vulcan and a MTX IV was an OPTION PACKAGE. It is VERY rare but there are a few up there. It was only produced in 1992. That is ALL the info I have.

4. and you are 100% right. The biggest problem is running the jackshaft for the passenger side front wheel which is one of the parts I am talking about.

5. Subframe is not a problem. You need the MTX subframe period.

LUcky
[/b][/quote]

First, I never really flamed you, and the information you are providing, is at best mediocre, but yet you are seeking input.

Okay I edited this part out because I did some searching of my own. You are correct. And incorrect. The vulcan tempos and topazes from 1992-1994 used the mtx-IV, I am sure my source was the same as yours..

The previous two swaps I mentioned were done with an ATX subframe.

Doing a search on car-parts.com they only list a manual transmission difference between 4 and 6 cylinder. Like I said, I am fairly certain that the transmission used on the tempo was not the mtx-iv.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
[/quote]

First, I never really flamed you, and the information you are providing, is at best mediocre, but yet you are seeking input.

Okay I edited this part out because I did some searching of my own. You are correct. And incorrect. The vulcan tempos and topazes from 1992-1994 used the mtx-IV, I am sure my source was the same as yours..

The previous two swaps I mentioned were done with an ATX subframe.

Doing a search on car-parts.com they only list a manual transmission difference between 4 and 6 cylinder. Like I said, I am fairly certain that the transmission used on the tempo was not the mtx-iv.
[/quote]

Now I do agree with you. The info available for the Gen3 swap is mediocre at best and that is the reason why it has to be done. Too much missed/half way info.

DO not loose sleep out the tempo thing - you are partially right. The regular tempo came with the 5 speed MTX III for all 4 cylinder engines. It is not clear to me if the regular tempo with the Vulcan option was ever match with the 5 speed MTX III but the sport line tempo GLS had a Vulcan engine standard and MTX III and MTX IV as an optional package. I believe it said it add it up like $ 900 to the already expensive Tempo sport GLS line. Tempo people talk about the 1992 GLS like we talk about SHO's. I have only seen the car in pics but no real owners. They are a few up there with the special package. Most likely it in someone's garage waiting to be discover.

Using the ATX subframe is most likely one of the mistakes they made. MTX subframe is the only way to go. I know that for sure now.

As you stated there is not very much else to say. Let's hope we can make it a reality sometime in the near future. I am looking forward to it as I can not longer afford to rebuild the ridiculous transmission of us. The upgrade was a one time deal.I love the way it performs but next time it will break, it will be gone for good. it just not worth it.

Lucky :thumb:

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
28 Participants
supercharged3.0
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing