Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever have an experience in getting their rack and pinion replaced? I was quote 400.00 and told it need replacing, since my steering wheel is always in a tilted position and the car rides with tension in the wheel. Is this dangerous? I was just told that my tires will wear out sooner, but i was wondering if there is anything to look out for in getting it replaced.

Thanks for any insight, tips or suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Sounds more like alignment problems then a rack replacement. I have experienced a rack replacement, and also alignment issues. I recieved a remanufactured unit which after a month leaked, the warranty replaced that one for free aswell as for the labor, and that lasted a month until the car was totalled. That was all because my original rack started to leak. The alignment issues was to due hitting a curb, which caused me to have to hold the wheel tilted to track straight. Downside was worse mileage (not to noticeable), and faster lose of tread. Oh yeah and how dumb it looks to hold the wheel crooked to drive straight.

-Nick

Forgot to add that the price you listed sounds about right on. But it sounds like alignment not rack issues from what I understand about steering components. Get another opinion from another shop.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
If you get the rack and pinion replaced, make sure they align the steering wheel. I remember when the mechanics replaced the rack and pinion on our old Dodge and they put the steering wheel at a 15 degree angle. Like I would be driving straight and the car would not go off in either direction when I let go of the wheel, but the steering wheel was at an angle. We fixed it ourseleves with a special tool, but with modern cars today with airbags and cruise, it'd probably be a bit harder.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts