Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the transmission work has been done on my new tranny, but still waiting on the LSD, it IS a fully custom one which is going to take another few weeks to get finished, not a quiafe.

I was talking to Brad at Shofastperformance and he was curious why the Kenne bell supercharger, I told him my reasons and he agreed. He also said the option to use a Vortech or Powerdyne is out there too (Like ArkanSHO's V8sho setup).

Kenne Bell's benefits:
-Unique
-Full boost at 2000 RPM
-Sell contained (No oil lines in tranny or oil pan)

Drawbacks:
-Not cheap so less exhaust work can be done (headers duals etc..)
-Custom hood (The front of our cars look good and with the down sweep a cowl would probably look bad)
-Amount of PSI could be very limited

Powerdyne or [Vortech]
Centerfugal benefits:
-Proven power
-Boost can be controlled to have 4PSI right off the line
-Self contained and little maintenance [Vortech is not self contained and would require more maintenance]
-PSI can be pretty high (14PSI on ArkanSHO's) Recommended not to go abouve 8 PSI until I get other internal engine work done.
-SLEEPER styling still in full effect
-Cheaper making other work possible during this 2 month period

Drawbacks:
- Not original

Please add any additional comments. I'm starting to lean towards the centerfugal for the sleeper look (he said he can make a bracket for a powerdyne, but include holes for the Vortech also for a future upgrade), and I don't know what the custom hood will look like until it's done, which is scary to spend that much and possibly have something that'll look like crap because it has never been done.

He said I can keep my car another couple weeks because he won't be doing any work until he gets the tranny done anyways. So I'll be able to get him to put the 13" Baer Rotors on while he's doing that. I'm thinking I might want to do something about the rear drums, but I don't have the money at the moment because of this big project..

Advice advice that is what I need...

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I would go with the centrifugal SC setup. So it's been done once or twice before in THE WHOLE WORLD. It's still alot more original than 99.5% of the cars out there. It's a cheaper, and more importantly, proven and potentially more reliable system.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The KB will probably be faster in a 1/4 race than a similarly boosted centrifugal setup, especially a Powerdyne. Reason is are under the curve, and the centi's dont make full boost until near redline. If you were using a stock tranny I wouldnt suggest the KB, but since you are taking care of the weak part of the driveline your car should be able to handle the extra low end torque that the KB offers.

Just a small piece of personal opinion, ever consider a turbo? Full boost by 3k or so rpm (if setup right), no fall-off at upper rpms, and easier to fit under the hood. If you did a junkyard turbo you could get it done for under $2k, or figure $4k for a custom kit with a FMIC.

The reason I suggest turbo is because it will most likely be the fastest setup, have the best driveability (no boost unless u want it), and will be undetecactable to 97% of people on the road. Having too much low end power can be useless if you dont have the suspension/tires to handle it, and I would think that a KB unit would be wheelspin/hop city. At least with a turbo you're able to launch without a ton of boost, and when you are rolling it will really kick in. :notworthy:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Just wondering... What kind of performance increase would you expect out of a S/C'd 24v?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 96SHO@Aug 3 2004, 09:19 PM
Just wondering... What kind of performance increase would you expect out of a S/C'd 24v?
I don't know what to expect at this point. I was told 300 HP to the wheels would be putting A LOT of strain on my engine and I'd probably have to do a lot of work before I could get to that point.

I will definately look into the Turbo option to see if I can even afford something like that at this point in time.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i think it could handle 300hp, but you're getting close to the breaking point at that point...i wonder what the stress levels for some of the internals are :/

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Aug 3 2004, 07:53 PM
I would go with the centrifugal SC setup.  So it's been done once or twice before in THE WHOLE WORLD.  It's still alot more original than 99.5% of the cars out there.  It's a cheaper, and more importantly, proven and potentially more reliable system.
:withstupid:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Advice? Advice is to watch out. He's been "fixing" one of our local member's supercharged cars for about a year now with a new excuse every couple months on why it's not done. When the kid asks questions about about why his car is not done he's basically told that it will be done when he can get to it.

The attitude sucks if you want my not so humble opinion. I'm usually not one to bash other vendors but I don't really consider Brad competition, so this is just friendly advice. Have a spare car setup to use.

While you're at it, ask him what he thinks about the Midwest SHO tranny. :)

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Mikeys_Taurus@Aug 4 2004, 12:17 PM
Advice? Advice is to watch out. He's been "fixing" one of our local member's supercharged cars for about a year now with a new excuse every couple months on why it's not done. When the kid asks questions about about why his car is not done he's basically told that it will be done when he can get to it.

The attitude sucks if you want my not so humble opinion. I'm usually not one to bash other vendors but I don't really consider Brad competition, so this is just friendly advice. Have a spare car setup to use.
Thank you for the advice. When I go up there I'm going to get everything in writing. He said it'll take 2 good months, and last night he said it won't be any longer, I'll get that in writing too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts