Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible, maybe via FORScan through BCM, to delete the auto retraction of the rear sunshade in reverse? Even with tinted windows I use the rear Sunshade often in sunny, hot, SC. All of that up and down, when the camera is usually all I need, is asking for a failure.

Note: I thought I had posted this a little earlier today. But when I went to check on it, it wasn’t there. At the time I was having issues getting the site to load and move from page to page. So, if it pops up again, my apologies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I haven't seen anything on my version of FORScan that will allow you to cancel the reverse pull down of the sunshade and I doubt that Ford would have it as an option in the module programming. I simply accessed the reverse trigger wire behind the rear driver side seat cushion and added a toggle switch to the panel to cancel the feature or switch it back to automatic.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't seen anything on my version of FORScan that will allow you to cancel the reverse pull down of the sunshade and I doubt that Ford would have it as an option in the module programming. I simply accessed the reverse trigger wire behind the rear driver side seat cushion and added a toggle switch to the panel to cancel the feature or switch it back to automatic.
Thank you for your input. I don’t have a sunroof so I could put a rocker switch right there. Does breaking that wire interrupt all reverse travel or just the automatic reverse? Do you remember which wire it was or have a copy of a schematic?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I didn't put the toggle switch up in the overhead console, I put it in where the sunshade switch is below the climate control panel. The reverse trigger wire is blue/white, and yes you can just cut the wire and tape it off if you don't want to add the toggle switch. With the wire cut, the sunshade can only be operated (up/down) by the sunshade switch and will not retract when the transmission is placed in reverse. I just put the toggle switch in so I could easily turn the feature back on if anyone else drove the car or in went in for repairs. The wire harness runs behind the rear seat outer cushion on the driver's side, fold down the seat back and reach in behind the outer cushion and you will feel the harness. There is enough room if you are only going to cut the wire and tape it off, but if you want to crimp on male/female connectors(to re-enable the feature) you will need to remove the outer cushion for more room. ****NOTE:**** There are more than one blue/white wires in the harness!!!. Simply use a straight pin to pierce the wire jacket, connect your red wire from your volt meter to the pin. Connect the black voltmeter wire to any chassis bolt, turn the voltmeter dial to 20 volts DC. Switch the ignition to RUN(not ACCY), put the shifter in reverse and if you got the right wire you should see 10-12 volts.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't put the toggle switch up in the overhead console, I put it in where the sunshade switch is below the climate control panel. The reverse trigger wire is blue/white, and yes you can just cut the wire and tape it off if you don't want to add the toggle switch. With the wire cut, the sunshade can only be operated (up/down) by the sunshade switch and will not retract when the transmission is placed in reverse. I just put the toggle switch in so I could easily turn the feature back on if anyone else drove the car or in went in for repairs. The wire harness runs behind the rear seat outer cushion on the driver's side, fold down the seat back and reach in behind the outer cushion and you will feel the harness. There is enough room if you are only going to cut the wire and tape it off, but if you want to crimp on male/female connectors(to re-enable the feature) you will need to remove the outer cushion for more room. ****NOTE:**** There are more than one blue/white wires in the harness!!!. Simply use a straight pin to pierce the wire jacket, connect your red wire from your volt meter to the pin. Connect the black voltmeter wire to any chassis bolt, turn the voltmeter dial to 20 volts DC. Switch the ignition to RUN(not ACCY), put the shifter in reverse and if you got the right wire you should see 10-12 volts.
Now THAT’’S what I call detailed instructions. Thank you! I was thinking of the exact same switch position when I said I didn’t have a sunroof. The sunroof switches are located to the left of the shade switches.....I think. Now I’m doubting myself. Those two blank out were where I thought they went. Regardless I’ll probably be fine taping it off and leaving it manual operation only. That’s the way I’ve always wished it was.

Reactions: sheila

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pic's of the wire & harness and the toggle switch placement.
All done and all is well! Thank you so much! I see your location of the switch is better than the blank outs because you don't have to reach around the shifter. I had to move some carpet to find the harness. I did notice one thing though. It may be a new quirk. On my first blue/white wire that showed 11.78v under the proper conditions I thought to myself, "Let's be double dog sure that's the one we're looking for". "Double dog sure" is southern for positive. So I had my assistant put the shifter in park, still showed 11.78v. So I wasn't cutting that one. Found another blue/white that did nothing. Then I found a third that read 11.78v under the proper conditions. With this one when my assistant put the shifter in park meter went to 0.00. Jackpot! Snipped, taped, done! Works exactly as I always wished it had.

Attachments

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I just bought a 2015 SHO and HATE the reverse/shade down feature.
I am going to try this fix this weekend and wanted to verify this fix only disables the signal to retract the rear shade and doesn't mess with the reverse lights or backup camera?

Thanks in advance!
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
MikeB_40 this only disrupts the reverse signal to the sunshade module. If you don't want to add a toggle switch to turn off/on the reverse auto down feature, just leave the wires as seen in my first pic, then the sunshade will only work with the dash switch and when you want the auto feature back, just reconnect it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. I just bought a 2015 SHO and HATE the reverse/shade down feature.
I am going to try this fix this weekend and wanted to verify this fix only disables the signal to retract the rear shade and doesn't mess with the reverse lights or backup camera?

Thanks in advance!
Mike
By taping off the wire it will disable the Automatic detraction of the sun shade. The Sun Shade button will still work but you will have to manually close it. It will not effect reverse camera or reverse lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So, just an update. I did this mod Friday night. As was mentioned there are at least 3 blue/white wires, one had no voltage at all, one was ~12V all the time and the third had 0V until the car was put in reverse and then it went to ~12V. I cut that wire and it did stop the shade from auto-retracting. While doing a function check, however, I noted that the car now had no reverse lights. I installed a temporary jumper wire to reconnect the blue/white wire. The shade now auto-retracted and the reverse lights were now working. So I spliced the wire back together permanently. It would seem that on my car the shade and reverse lights are triggered off of that same blue-white wire. The backup camera functioned correctly both when the wire was cut and then spliced. At this point I think I will just leave it alone.

This is on a 2015 SHO.

Thanks again, a lot of great info on this site.
Mike

·
Registered
34 Posts
So, just an update. I did this mod Friday night. As was mentioned there are at least 3 blue/white wires, one had no voltage at all, one was ~12V all the time and the third had 0V until the car was put in reverse and then it went to ~12V. I cut that wire and it did stop the shade from auto-retracting. While doing a function check, however, I noted that the car now had no reverse lights. I installed a temporary jumper wire to reconnect the blue/white wire. The shade now auto-retracted and the reverse lights were now working. So I spliced the wire back together permanently. It would seem that on my car the shade and reverse lights are triggered off of that same blue-white wire. The backup camera functioned correctly both when the wire was cut and then spliced. At this point I think I will just leave it alone.

This is on a 2015 SHO.

Thanks again, a lot of great info on this site.
Mike

Where exactly did you access the wire harness? Can you post a pic? The wire harness that I accessed is behind the rear seat outer cushion on the Driver's side(non folding cushion, bolted to the body). The harness should be seen going up under the rear trim shelf where the sunshade module is located. The blue/white wire splits into 4, one going to the left reverse lamp, one going to the right reverse lamp, one going to the rear view mirror, and one going to the sunshade module, so you are definitely accessing the wire in the harness before the split since you lost both reverse lamps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ahh, I wondered. The harness location I accessed was behind the drivers side rear seat right where the rear of the seat meets the trunk area. I pulled back a piece of the liner to access it, I will try to snap a pic tomorrow. So would the wire I need be further toward the front of the car or the rear?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just re-read your reply. Is the harness location more on the side of the car or in the bolster behind the rear seat along the deck lid?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just re-read your reply. Is the harness location more on the side of the car or in the bolster behind the rear seat along the deck lid?

Thanks again!

Fold down the driver's rear seat back, you will now see that the outer cushion didn't fold(against the door opening), If you look behind that cushion you will see a wire harness running up over the wheel well to the rear shelf under the rear window. You may need to pull the gray liner out from behind the cushion to see the harness.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here are some pic's. If you look at the harness pic at section 7C you will see 14A005, follow the line to the arrow point. That is where you want to access the harness. The 2nd pic is the outer cushion that the harness is behind.

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
I didn't read this entire thread so I apologize if this was all already solved.

Let me poke around in my application and see if I can disable the rear sunshade in reverse.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts