Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way humanly possible to add a factory sunroof to my '97 Taurus GL...I found a complete one in my local remove it yourself junkyard... it is in pristeen condition from another '97Taurus but it is the pacific green

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Is there any way humanly possible to add a factory sunroof to my '97 Taurus GL...I found a complete one in my local remove it yourself junkyard... it is in pristeen condition from another '97Taurus but it is the pacific green
[/b]

if you going oem you'd have to mostly likely skin the roof... it the only way i've seen it done when using the oem setup. my buddy did it on his neon..had the front and rear glass pulled, drilled out all the spot welds.. put the new roof on.. welded it all back up, painted it then put the glass back in. wired up the sunroof and ran drain tubes to all 4 corners of the car like oem.. looks and works great but was a pain in the butt and that was for a body man by trade..

ryan

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Possible? Yes. A pain? Yes

Also, factory built sunroofs were reinforced like crazy (due to the possibility of a rollover with the roof open)....you won't have that if you DIY.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help..any ideas on what roof would look closest to OEM?..if any?

·
Registered
201 Posts
another way to install it is to chop the top and weld on the new section from the other car but thats alot of work

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
You could try and get a shop to do an aftermarket one, but you could easily run into problems with leaks.

another way to install it is to chop the top and weld on the new section from the other car but thats alot of work
[/b]
You mean exactly what a23dranger described in the 1st reply to this topic? :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I've never seen an aftermarket moonroof on a Taurus that looked right - the OEM one is curved with the shape of the roof, and most aftermarket ones are flat. The OEM one also retracts under the roof, and has a different, lower headliner to make room. Aftermarket ones are too much of a crapshoot with leaks - if a moonroof is an absolute must, IMHO, you should buy a car with one.

The roof skin is completely different on a moonroof car - there are drainage hoses that aren't there in the solid roof. The only way I can see to get an OEM-like install is to reskin the roof, and with the time and money that would be spent, you may as well sell your car and buy one with a moonroof. With the prices of used, loaded Gen 3s, I doubt you could do a factory moonroof (with factory quality) for the same money.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Someone I know has a 2000 with an aftermarket sunroof... It works good and is quiet.. the only downside is that the switch looks cheep and it does not tilt it only opens and closes

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Feb 17 2009, 11:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=703348
I've never seen an aftermarket moonroof on a Taurus that looked right - the OEM one is curved with the shape of the roof, and most aftermarket ones are flat. The OEM one also retracts under the roof, and has a different, lower headliner to make room. Aftermarket ones are too much of a crapshoot with leaks - if a moonroof is an absolute must, IMHO, you should buy a car with one.

The roof skin is completely different on a moonroof car - there are drainage hoses that aren't there in the solid roof. The only way I can see to get an OEM-like install is to reskin the roof, and with the time and money that would be spent, you may as well sell your car and buy one with a moonroof. With the prices of used, loaded Gen 3s, I doubt you could do a factory moonroof (with factory quality) for the same money.[/b]

Thanks guys...It was a nice thought anyway.. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts