Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
03 Taurus, I just got it and have a sunroof. Yesterday the sun was unbearable and shining through the roof. I would like to tint the sunroof with tint or paint it. Has anyone done this? With paint or tint film and what are were the results. Did the tint fall down?
Looking for a solution other than painting the outside in flat black.
Thoughts, suggestions advice? Thanks

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
why don't you just use the sliding sunroof cover?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
03 Taurus, I just got it and have a sunroof. Yesterday the sun was unbearable and shining through the roof. I would like to tint the sunroof with tint or paint it. Has anyone done this? With paint or tint film and what are were the results. Did the tint fall down?
Looking for a solution other than painting the outside in flat black.
Thoughts, suggestions advice? Thanks
Of course you can tint it, call or stop by a auto tint shop. Remember, you can't use ammonia cleaners on tint film, as it removes the adheasive that holds it to the glass, it will peel away and fall down. It's best to tint in the summer, when the temps stay above 65 degrees. I suggest using scratch resistant ceramic, or metal coated tint on the sunroof (they reflect more heat).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went by a few tint shops yesterday and 1 told me they could not guarantee that the film would stay up, 2 others did not want to even look at it.
Austex thanks, sounds like you're in the tint business.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The inside moonroof cover was missing on my LX when I got it. I used a reflective silver tint when I did it myself. One year and holding up just fine so far.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Went by a few tint shops yesterday and 1 told me they could not guarantee that the film would stay up, 2 others did not want to even look at it.
Austex thanks, sounds like you're in the tint business.
Most reputable tint shops will warranty workmanship for at least 1 year (including the tint staying in place), good films have lifetime warranties on fadeing to purple. Is there already some kind of factory tint on the sunroof? I'm not in the window tinting business, however, every car I've owned here I had tint put on. Most people here have their windows tinted, since the sun gets very strong, and our temps often reach over 100 during the summer months. Shop around, call some other shops that will stand behind their work.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a factory tinting on the roof but it's not close to being up for the job. This morning I went to two tint shops and both declined to tint the roof from the inside. Car will spend summers in NYC and winters in Mexico so I really want to get this done and it looks like I'm going to have to do it myself.
Thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts