Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've sure most of you have heard me complain about the interior resonance with my Flowmaster 40s. I'm currently looking for a replacement muffler that will give a nice sound, but isn't very loud. Is the Summit Turbo muffler a decent choice?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by silvapain@Dec 28 2003, 06:43 PM
Why not just go to the 50 series Flowmasters? I know they are more expensive, but they sound great - and theyr'e flowmasters.
How much quieter are they?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by silvapain@Dec 28 2003, 06:48 PM
From what Iv'e heard, they are much more mellow (is that correct english?). There should be sound bytes on the flowmaster website.
There is, but those are complete exhaust systems and the tones vary by the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Do you have stock pipes?

I remember fat tortoise posted a vid of his exhaust with the flowmaster 50 and it was pretty quiet, yet deep. I think he kept the stock pipes, and just threw on the 50 series, not sure though. You might want to send him a PM to see if he still has that video clip.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I have Flowmaster 40's. I know they're loud, expecially if you floor it. Last night Wes and I were in a rush to find a part and so while we were driving, wes was calling around to find out who was open and who had the part. While he was on the phone, he tried to turn down the radio... which wasn't even on, before he realized it was the exhaust that was making the background noise.

My Advice? I'd say try some Flowmaster 50 Delta series. The Deltas are supposed to give the same tones, but be a littler quieter. If you're concerned with noise on the inside of the cabin and not so much on the outside, another good idea would be to pull your carpet and put down some dynamat or similar material under it. Along with the exhaust, it would also help keep out road noise and keep in music or whatever else you use your stereo for.

-Dan

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'd also say try the 50 series if you like the Flowmaster sound.
or get your self an SHO rear split and use a 40 series on the right and a OEM style on the left
If you dont like idea of two different mufflers try a single Borla.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts