Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know much about car audio other than I want one better than the stock one in my car now. I already have a Pioneer head unit and the factory tweeter setup (the speakers on the A-pillar). I would like to replace the front and rear speakers with some better ones. Can I retain the stock tweeters, or do I have to switch out the entire thing (front + tweeters)?

Also, who are some good manufacturers for speakers, subs, amps, etc? Does anyone know how much wattage would be needed to run 2 10" or 12" subs - would 50Wx2 be enough (that sounds low to me)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I dont know about the tweeters in the pillars, the brand names are personal prefference and everyone will have an opinion. 50x2Watts for 10" or 12" is way weak. if thats 50 watts rms and you got two of them and you bridge them you might get 100 rms and thats still pretty weak. 50x2 sounds like a rating from a head unit, if that is the case no way in hell you're gonna run subs of it directly. My sub is 300watts rms and 12" and I'm very happy but it by no means will set off car alarms or anything.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks qaz. One more question, though. I see a wide range of RMS power ratings on sub amps, some of which exceed the range of certain subs (i.e. a 200 watt RMS amp and a 50-150 watt RMS sub). Would it be dangerous to run a combo like this? I mean, could it damage the subs in some way? Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah giving more power to a speaker not designed for it will blow the speaker. You can run something like that but if you crank it way up you'll blow the speaker. Just make sure you are looking at the same watts, that is your not comparing "watts rms" with "watts peak". An approximation is, rms is often about 1/2 of peak, but not always. When looking at amps also note at what load the power is (2ohm, 4ohm) and the impedence of your speaker(s) (2ohm, 4ohm). The SNR is also worth a look at, SNR of less the ~80dB (more is better) is on par with tape recording so you might want to stay above that. Might want to stay away from all the cheap-o brands (eg. Pyramid, Pyle, Audiotek etc.) for most componenets.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would 2 10" subs or 1 12" sub be better? I'm looking to run a sealed box in my trunk, and I just want some bass definition, nothing too boomy or rattly. Also, does it matter which way you mount the box in the trunk? What I mean is: which way is the box supposed to face? I've seen some where the subs face the back of the seat, and others where they face outward into the trunk area. Which is better/correct?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
All of that is personal preference. I have my single 12" facing the back. It is louder that way. As for the 2 10" vs. the 1 12", I say the single 12". Honestly it sounds like a single 10" would suit your needs based on your description, but I am sure there will be times you want the extra boom. Keep in mind that in a sealed box you will need more power to drive them. I prefer a sealed box myself, but my current install has me using a ported enclosure. As I said and many other will say, all of this is personal preference.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
A sealed box will have a "tighter " sound (hit faster as say, in metal music), but won't have the low end that a ported box will have. A bandpass box is the middle-road. Two 10"s will move more air than one 12" (e.g. be louder), but won't go as low frequency-wise as a 12". I personally face my 2x10" box towards the cabin, but most face it backwards. As for amps and subs, most decent amps will have a gain setting on them. Never turn the gain above 2/3rds, unless you know what you are doing. That way you will never have an issue with the amp clipping, and ruining the subs. You can also run subs that are rated for a little lower than the amp that way.

You can replace the door speakers without messing with the tweets. I have kenwood 6879ie 6x8's all around, and the tweets are still stock. The tweets also have an inline high-pass filter on them, so you can crank up the bass and not damage them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW - does anybody know if the Infinity Kappa 572.5cf or Reference 6802cf will fit a '96 Bull. They are 5x7/6x8's, so I don't see the reason why so many sites say they don't fit. For instance, Crutchfield says no, while many other sites say yes. I'm confused.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by socom58@Apr 14 2004, 05:45 PM
BTW - does anybody know if the Infinity Kappa 572.5cf or Reference 6802cf will fit a '96 Bull. They are 5x7/6x8's, so I don't see the reason why so many sites say they don't fit. For instance, Crutchfield says no, while many other sites say yes. I'm confused.
While the dimension of the cone is correct, the speaker depth could be too much. Would have to look into it to be sure though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts