Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forums, I have a '92 Taurus GL and I want to make it run and look as good as most of yours, but I don't know where to start..

Any suggestions would be great, you can check it out in the garage under Kenitz to look at it, it is all stock..

I bought it at 84k miles, and about 1k later the ignition coil broke, then 1k later the water pump broke, total of 400 dollars in damages..right now it's running fine, got the oil changed not too long ago, cleaned the fuel injector...that's a brief history of the car..I beat it a lot, I know I shouldn't, but I just can't help myself...

Thanks for the suggestions ahead of time, and please don't suggest not beating it, because I try, I just can't stop.

Thanks
Kenitz ([email protected])

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I would probably say start with a complete tune up. New plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor. A new serpentine belt. You changed your oil, that's always good, but chnage ever other fluid too, brake fluid, tranny fluid, powersteering fluid and anitfreeze. Make sure that their are no holes in the exhaust, clean air filter. Than check MoranaV6 (I think that's what it's called) for some vulcan performance parts for the motor. But doing a COMPLETE tune up first should keep ya busy for a while

Welcome to the club, maybe some day your car can be COTM

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by D Man@Dec 30 2003, 11:49 AM
I would probably say start with a complete tune up. New plugs, wires, distributer cap and rotor. A new serpentine belt. You changed your oil, that's always good, but chnage ever other fluid too, brake fluid, tranny fluid, powersteering fluid and anitfreeze. Make sure that their are no holes in the exhaust, clean air filter. Than check MoranaV6 (I think that's what it's called) for some vulcan performance parts for the motor. But doing a COMPLETE tune up first should keep ya busy for a while

Welcome to the club, maybe some day your car can be COTM
that about covers it!

J

·
0 Posts
Be very careful of your tranny if you beat on it. I would recommend starting with getting your tranny fluid changed and putting in a cooler. One of the first, basic (and free) mods you can do is remove the intake silencer there should be instructions in the mods section of our site (not sure if you car has this - can't remember if it applies to gen I/II). If you've never changed spark plugs, I would recommend doing that and putting in OEM motorcraft (or Autolite) platinums. You also might want to try synthetic oil, I am partial to Vavloline full synthetic, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea at 84k miles. If you don't want synthetic, I had very good luck with Valvoline Maxlife in my 99 that had about 100k miles on it. If you haven't had the coolant flushed or checked, I would look into that - see if it's cloudy, etc. It may or may not need flushed.

As far as Aesthetic mods, you can check the merchandise threads on how to get TCCA decals.
Other than that there are a ton of things you can do, I'll leave it up to the other Gen I/II owners to give more info on that because I'm not sure what all you can do with them.

Well, best of luck and have fun!

Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See, the thing is, I know what parts do what, but I've never actually touched my car or any car..I don't know the first thing about it... I can change the oil and the spark plugs, but that's the extent of it.. those modification guides help, but they're a bit vague for beginners...
Anywhere I can go to find detailed instructions?

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Kenitz@Dec 30 2003, 11:31 AM
See, the thing is, I know what parts do what, but I've never actually touched my car or any car..I don't know the first thing about it... I can change the oil and the spark plugs, but that's the extent of it.. those modification guides help, but they're a bit vague for beginners...
Anywhere I can go to find detailed instructions?
I'm in about the same boat you are as far as ability then. I actually had somebody help me with some of my mods at meets. Meets are a great place to learn and to get some help. I don't believe we have any more detailed instructions that what's in the mods section, but if you have questions, we'll be more than happy to answer them. If you aren't sure how to do something, make a post about it and whoever knows will reply with some direction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts