Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone in the Southeast who likes to tour in their Taurus, I would like to suggest a tour of the Upcountry, S.C. (Pickens/Oconee Counties), Hwy 64 in N.C. (Rosman-to-Cashiers, N.C. (pronounced locally: "cashers")), then down to Clayton., Georgia, finishing off with a return to S.C..

I took a road trip in the 1993 LX, covered 3 states, and saw beautiful mountain scenery (see attached), and returned home all in six hours and about $30 in gas.

But anywhere in the Upcountry of S.C., or the Appalachians in N.C. or North Georgia is a worthwhile trip for scenery. In the Fall, these roads get crowded with folks wanting to see the Fall leaves.

I had not been to Cashiers, N.C. before. What a charming little town. It's at 3,000+ feet above sea level and can be both wet and cool in the middle of the summer. I had to drive by "High Hampton" and see where Wade Hampton from S.C. use to vacation. There are other historic places in Cashiers, also.

The lawns of the homes there and the golf courses are unusually nice. But, I'd get some gas in S.C. before buying in Cashiers. I paid $3.05.9 for this trip. In Cashiers, it was 3.73.9. I have read the real estate prices are high, also.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
That is some nice scenery. I've been in NC for almost two years now and I've still yet to travel and see the mountains.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roach,

From where you are at, I'd recommend a trip to North Wilkesboro (Hwy 421), over to Boone, N.C., then down to the Grandfather Mtn. area and Banner Elk. The driving scenery is great there in Avery County.

Visit the Linville Caverns, also, as you make your way down to Morganton. Then I-40 is there.

Other tours could include the Blue Ridge Parkway, or Hwy 74 west out of Charlotte to Asheville.

This whole Appalachian region is full of exceptional driving scenery. I enjoy driving thru the mountains around here.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I really want to go up there, probably when it's colder so there's a chance of some snow too.

I'm originally from the coast, and for most of my life have only lived walking distance from the Gulf. Being up here for this long now has made me really homesick towards the ocean, so I planed on a trip to Myrtle or something towards the end of summer. [Never been there]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts