Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon at the gas station, I notice my driver side front tire was really low. So I added air, raising the pressure to 45psi -- from under 10 psi -- thinking I needed the additional few pounds getting the bull home, when it would be easier to replace the tire with the emergency one.

It just so happened that when I got home it started raining hard, so I left the car alone. This morning, I got my tools out, fulling expecting the tire to be completely flat. To my surprise, it looked normal. I measure the pressure, it is still at about 40 psi -- the few pounds could be easily attributed to the tire being cooler.

Now, I am sure I did not make sudden turns that may have separated the tire from the wheel temporarily.

So what could have caused the pressure loss in the first place if not a flat tire?

More importantly, what should I be looking out for?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Why do you think it was rapid the first time?

It could be that you have a slow leak like sheila said.

Or if you checked the tire that morning before going to the gas station and it visually looked ok, maybe it was low enough on tire pressure to not seal properly to the rim where it's leaking or something, and you lost the rest of your pressure.

Now that you filled it to 45psi, it's back to slow leak mode. I'd see what happens either after your next drive, or over the course of a few days.

But be careful, you don't want it to blow out on a highway or something.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses.

I guess you are right, I need a few days and frequent checks to tell if there is a slow leak or a rapid leak.

I believe it was a rapid leak because I did not notice anything wrong yesterday morning on a 30 miles+, city and highway combined, drive. I noticed abnormal handling during the less than 1 mile drive to the gas station. When I checked, the pressure was less than 10 psi.

The pressure could have been low in the morning, but was still unnoticeable. Still, going from that pressure to sub-10 psi in a matter of hours is pretty rapid.

I will keep checking the pressure frequently. I will take the tire off and spray soapy water and see if there is a leak.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
Keep in mind that after a while aluminum rims oxidize around the lip edge and that can lead to air pressure loss, just like a cut, nail in the tire or valve stem problems. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts