Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have '96 Taurus Vulcan but the odometer wasn't working when I bought the car.

While in the boneyard looking for a replacement gauge cluster I came accross a 97 (I think) that had 140K while mine was at 136K it was a perfect fit! Then I continued on and found a new car with the silver bezel and red needles. I liked this alot better because I could then paint the bezel the color of my car (metallic red) with the dupli color paint and then change out the needles to the red.

So, while in the boneyard I took them both apart, torn the orange needles off, and pushed on the red ones and put the silver bezel on and closed it back up. But, before leaving the 'parts cluster' behind, I did take the odo motor out as a back up.:D

I know as well as anyone that taking the needles off the gauges throws everything off so this is where it got tricky but with time and patients I got them to work... acurately too!

I took my old cluster out and opened the housing up and I first replaced the speedo gauge with the donor keeping all my other original gauges and then I placed it back in its whole in the dash but without the plasitic cover on. I turned the car "on" and watched where all my gauges went and pulled one off at a time and put the new red one on at that exact spot. Tach and speedo are a little different as you have to know where you car idles and the speedo... Well before we get to this I have to say "Do Not Try This!" Very Dangerous and not suggested!
I turned my GPS on and I had it clock my speed as I was driving and then I quickly but lightly pushed it on at that speed. It took me a few tries but it is dead on!

Another trick I found was you CAN, but not suggested, roll back these odometers, even with the "anti-rollback mechanisms" they have. I was just playing around with my old one after I pulled it out and I took it back to like 90k and everything still turned normal and fine. It wasn't easy and again it is not suggested. While I had this all apart I found that the motor to my odo was stuck or something, it took a little force to make the roller move again but then it broke the work gear. Oh well, I have an extra gear anyways!

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
LOL, I went throught he same exact thing when I changed the speedo in my 98 SHO. I broke the Odo trying to roll it back to my cars milage, and to fix that, I took my odo off and put on the new speedo cluster. I had to take the needle of to do this. So I did exactly what you did, Cruise controlled at 45 and stuck the needle on. Now my needle is 2-3 mph to slow. If it says 50, I'm doing 53. What worse, is the stupid thing goes to 0 when I hit 100 instead of 110 like the old one. I'll fix again when I get back home.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Another trick I found was you CAN, but not suggested, roll back these odometers, even with the "anti-rollback mechanisms" they have. I was just playing around with my old one after I pulled it out and I took it back to like 90k and everything still turned normal and fine. It wasn't easy and again it is not suggested. While I had this all apart I found that the motor to my odo was stuck or something, it took a little force to make the roller move again but then it broke the work gear. Oh well, I have an extra gear anyways!
I think that's all fine - unless you live in a state where there's yearly car inspections. Unfortunately, the mileage is tracked and can be viewed on CarFax. At least it keeps the car dealers somewhat honest. :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts