Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Audiobahn AW1200X subwoofers any good? I was looking at the 12" subwoofer w/ dual 4ohm voice coils - 700 watts RMS. I was thinking about possibly getting 2.

Also what would be a good amp to power one or two of these subs without being super expensive?

·
Registered
746 Posts
are you wanting oppinions on these subs? also, how much power are you wanting and how much are you wanting to spend. just ball park what you are wanting to spend, so we can try to fit your budget

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am hoping someone has some opinions on the the subs. Possibly a review of the subs if someone has one or two of them.

If I do get one or two of these subs, I would probably want to get an amp that could run somewhere around 500-700 watts RMS per sub, give or take a little bit. I don't know what my budget will be as of right now, but I would prefer not to spend to much more than $250-300 on the amp.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The only good audiobahn subs are the Ultra Excursion series and the Immortal series, this is from a guy who competes for them. As for thier amps they put out exactly what they are rated at +/- 15w. I have the AW1005Q in a 1.0 cf sealed box hooked up to a A8002T (bridged). I am still trying to get all the amp settings perfect and the position of the sub just right. This setup hits harder and clearer than my friends bandpass (CAD) w/ a kenwood sub at 300w.

·
Registered
746 Posts
as for audiobahns reputation, i personally think they are shiny, that is it. nothing great, just shiny metal. the "good" ones are really expensive because they put most of their effort into aesthetics, i would go with a cheaper alternative to audiobahn.

im not a huge fan of their amps either, i havent seen one to put out their full power before. they will put out relatively close, but not what they are rated to do(at 14.4v).

these are just my opinions on audiobahn though, several people swear by them, but i will never own anything by them.

there are lots of good options for amps, JBL makes good class D amps that will do what they are rated at, they also go for good prices. check around on ebay for other good deals. there are other good suggestions out there, ill look around and see what i can drag up.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoss, what kind of sub/subs would you recommend?

I want to get some subs but don't want get some that cost an arm and a leg just for one. Just want some that are fairly good but don't cost to much because I don't have to much money to spend on a couple subs and an amp.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mr. Sparkle, I don't know yet. I was hoping to get some ideas from everyone and save up for some subs and amp. I don't want any of that super cheap wal-mart stuff. I want something that is good, that plays deep and stuff, but I don't need any SPL subs or whatever. I was looking for some subs that would go in a sealed box, but not a huge box. Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Not trying to rob a thread but I had a kid up the road helping me do some work. We went to walmart to get some stuff, anyway they had a set of pioneer three way 6x9 speakers he was wanting. they were $58.00.

When I got home I found the same model number on ebay the went for $8.00 plus ten dollars shipping from a guy that sold speakers. I forget the site now but the question I have were these rejects or factory returns or what. His description said 100% tested. It was a regular seller not some guy that had put them in and didn't like them.

I know it is ebay the land of deals but how could he get them this cheap?

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by T-3@Jan 20 2004, 03:55 PM
Mr. Sparkle, I don't know yet. I was hoping to get some ideas from everyone and save up for some subs and amp. I don't want any of that super cheap wal-mart stuff. I want something that is good, that plays deep and stuff, but I don't need any SPL subs or whatever. I was looking for some subs that would go in a sealed box, but not a huge box. Any Ideas?
http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/drivers/drivers.htm
check out that page and look at the tempest and the shiva. those two woofers wang hard and sound great, and they are offered at a great price. probably the best sounding you will find for that price, plus they are made to work in small enclosures.

as for amps, if you look around on ebay and on some audio forums and you see anyone selling an American Bass amp (CX series) then snatch it up. this is an amazing amp and you can get them for dirt cheap. ill try to think of some other recomendations.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think the Older Orion stuff is exelent and also the orion XTR subs are nice for the price. If you want high end ,HCCA Orion Subs almost cant be beat. If you got a bunch of money McIntosh is probably the best period.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about CDT, Rockford Fosgate, MA Audio, Infinity, JBL, Kicker, Polk, or Visonik subwoofers? Are any of those good? If so, what sub or subs?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok, T-3 I'm going to find you a setup for under 300 including the amp, box and sub. They will give you great performace for what you want, not to mention going easy on the wallet. You dont have to spend 500 to get bass, I spent 280 and I am very satisfied. I'll have a look around and in my next post ill toss some ideas around.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sub box, $50 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=50568

Sub:

For some odd reason there is this, you may want to keep an eye on it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=48614

Heres another, 143 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=18803

Amp, 101 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=18797

Its a profile amp, people will bash this. Ive seen these amps, they are very decent and have very good specs compareable to higher brands. 100 times better than pyle or american legacy crap.

Amp wiring kit, 18 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2454818034

Total comes out to $313 including shipping. Alittle over budget but you will be more than happy with the results. If you are looking to lower the cost you can drop the sub down a notch. If so, I have other suggestions. If you have any questions, let me know.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hows this for a deal:
Sub:
1 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect with dual 4 ohm voice coils and a free box for $200.

Amp:
1 Profile California CA400M for $95. 320 watts RMS x1 at 2 ohms.

And the grand total is $295.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sounds good, but I would get the amp I suggested becuase it does more power at 4 ohms rather than 2, and they cost the same.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Sparkle@Jan 24 2004, 02:32 AM
Sounds good, but I would get the amp I suggested becuase it does more power at 4 ohms rather than 2, and they cost the same.
werd, same power at higher impedence will actually be louder. too bad the auction has ended thogh... would have been a great deal.

and yeah, some people will bash you for buying profile, i have never used them but their info seems good.... whether they live up to it or not i do no know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts