Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as any audio thread starts, here is my configuration.

I have 2 12" JL Audios with SVC @ 4 Ohms, with 400w RMS Each.
The AMP is some no name MD Sound amp that puts out just about 700w RMS (measured)
I have a 1.5 Farad Cap connected between the 100a fused 4ga power wire and the amp.
The ground is nice and very secure, made sure of that.
Im getting the signal from a spliced speaker wire beacuse my RCA's on my head unit took a ****.

Ill be listening to music with the volume up, and it will be banging normally, then suddenly it will start banging 100x more intense for a few seconds, go back to normal, start banging intensely again, normal etc.

I havn't gotten this to happen on an iPod or anything, only with CD's. Now I dont know if the CD player sucks too or what, but it sounds really good when it happens, the only problem is when it goes back to normal it seems sooo much lower then it was before, but it wasnt.

Would this be a problem with the CD player? The AMP starting to ****? The Subs starting to blow?

I double triple quadruple checked all my connections, they are all tight with no problems at all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Well as any audio thread starts, here is my configuration.

I have 2 12" JL Audios with SVC @ 4 Ohms, with 400w RMS Each.
The AMP is some no name MD Sound amp that puts out just about 700w RMS (measured)
I have a 1.5 Farad Cap connected between the 100a fused 4ga power wire and the amp.
The ground is nice and very secure, made sure of that.
Im getting the signal from a spliced speaker wire beacuse my RCA's on my head unit took a ****.

Ill be listening to music with the volume up, and it will be banging normally, then suddenly it will start banging 100x more intense for a few seconds, go back to normal, start banging intensely again, normal etc.

I havn't gotten this to happen on an iPod or anything, only with CD's. Now I dont know if the CD player sucks too or what, but it sounds really good when it happens, the only problem is when it goes back to normal it seems sooo much lower then it was before, but it wasnt.

Would this be a problem with the CD player? The AMP starting to ****? The Subs starting to blow?

I double triple quadruple checked all my connections, they are all tight with no problems at all.
[/b]
you might not be getting consistent enough power to the amp, maybe scratched cd's, maybe the cap is not working properly... it should give you a voltage reading when in use, peek at the voltage when this is happening to see if its dropping too low :dunno: ... you said iys a "no name" amp, maybe you just got what you payed for

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
You are not using a LOC? If not you are probably frying your amp, its not an expensive unit, but i doubt an expensive one would like eight volts input through the rca jacks

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, my Cap does give a voltage read out, ill look at it tomorrow and see if the voltage is dipping too low.

It could be a scratched CD, but all of my CD's seem to do this, yet iPod doesn't.

Its been over a year sense I got the amp and it hasn't given me problems yet, but that is true, it could be on the way out.

You are not using a LOC? If not you are probably frying your amp, its not an expensive unit, but i doubt an expensive one would like eight volts input through the rca jacks
[/b]
No LOC, I should probally look into one of those.

Does it attach to the back of the head unit or can I attach it to the speaker wire themselves?

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Alright, my Cap does give a voltage read out, ill look at it tomorrow and see if the voltage is dipping too low.

It could be a scratched CD, but all of my CD's seem to do this, yet iPod doesn't.

Its been over a year sense I got the amp and it hasn't given me problems yet, but that is true, it could be on the way out.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Does it attach to the back of the head unit or can I attach it to the speaker wire themselves?
[/b][/quote]

You should have looked into one before. Amps usually go from .5 volt-8 volts input, and i would imagine you are having peaks over that. you just install it in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

You should have looked into one before. Amps usually go from .5 volt-8 volts input, and i would imagine you are having peaks over that. you just install it in the trunk.
[/b][/quote]

Alright, Ill try grabbing one of those this weekend and see what happens.

But I still cant figure out why this only happens with CD's :huh:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Alright, Ill try grabbing one of those this weekend and see what happens.

But I still cant figure out why this only happens with CD's :huh:
[/b][/quote]

Maybe with the ipod the voltage output from the deck is not as high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
these guys are on the right track
basically the amp you have unless it has what is called high level inputs (where it accepts input direct off another speaker wire) is meant to have a low voltage low current preamp hooked up too it which is what the deck rca's put out.
So why does this only happen with cd's then. welllll
MP3's are smaller then wav for a reason, first they are compressed quality and second part of that compression is removing the top and bottom notes, Hence why CD's always sound better too, depending on if you have your ipod hooked up through the headphone port or the aux through the dock connector you may have even worse sound.
Another thing that comes into play is you cap.
Caps are useless for anything but filtering electrical noise. Basically the cap charging is robbing power that could be going straight to your amp. Then when it discharges it does it for about 1/10th of a second.
My suggestion would be to add a loc to your speaker outputs to your amp and possibly try removing your cap. I am also assuming that your alt doesn't put out the nearly 200amps it needs and that would be coming into play as well.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
basically the amp you have unless it has what is called high level inputs (where it accepts input direct off another speaker wire) is meant to have a low voltage low current preamp hooked up too it which is what the deck rca's put out.
MP3's are smaller then wav for a reason, first they are compressed quality and second part of that compression is removing the top and bottom notes, Hence why CD's always sound better too, depending on if you have your ipod hooked up through the headphone port or the aux through the dock connector you may have even worse sound.
Caps are useless for anything but filtering electrical noise. Basically the cap charging is robbing power that could be going straight to your amp. Then when it discharges it does it for about 1/10th of a second.
My suggestion would be to add a loc to your speaker outputs to your amp and possibly try removing your cap. I am also assuming that your alt doesn't put out the nearly 200amps it needs and that would be coming into play as well.
[/b]
200a to power 700w RMS? that doesn't sound right at all.

As for filtering electrical noise, That is a good thing with my car because im not known as the best person for running wires in the world. So the cap could actually be making my speakers preform worse?

That makes alot of sense with CD's and why it only happens with that, thanks alot.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
[/b]
1st, My amp is 800w RMS and peak draw is 120a. Not a very efficient amp either.

2nd, A cap does have benefits. It charges between the harder notes and discharges when it does hit hard. Now they do have to be installed correctly along with other electrical upgrades such as the big 3.

The problem definitely sounds like the lack of a LOC. I have seen installs that way with many problems.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
<div class='quotemain'> these guys are on the right track
[/b]
1st, My amp is 800w RMS and peak draw is 120a. Not a very efficient amp either.

2nd, A cap does have benefits. It charges between the harder notes and discharges when it does hit hard. Now they do have to be installed correctly along with other electrical upgrades such as the big 3.
[/b][/quote]

Well I mostly listen to rap music, so the beat is usually constant through the entire song, either heavy hitting long bass lines, heavy hitting bumps, or soft bass. Then Heavy metal, I love the double bass drum.

And I need to do the big 3 still.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Sounds more like a problem with the cd player, to me. :dunno:

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you're not useing a L.O.C. it'll do that.I have a Rockford amp and I had the same problem.A L.O.C. is less than 30 bucks for a decent one and it takes not even 10 minutes to splice it into your speaker leads at the RCU.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you're not useing a L.O.C. it'll do that.I have a Rockford amp and I had the same problem.A L.O.C. is less than 30 bucks for a decent one and it takes not even 10 minutes to splice it into your speaker leads at the RCU.
[/b]
Gonna go and grab one this weekend then. After you installed the L.O.C. did it not bang as hard anymore though?

·
Registered
547 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Gonna go and grab one this weekend then. After you installed the L.O.C. did it not bang as hard anymore though?
[/b][/quote]
It depends on how you got yours set I guess.I've only got a sony 10 in my back hatch and it BANGS hard!!!
The L.O.C. I got had an adjustable gain for both channels.I set it to about 65% and BANG BANG BANG.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]
It depends on how you got yours set I guess.I've only got a sony 10 in my back hatch and it BANGS hard!!!
The L.O.C. I got had an adjustable gain for both channels.I set it to about 65% and BANG BANG BANG.
[/b][/quote]

Sounds like im going to look for one with an adjustable gain, + i only have it connected to one sepaker, if I get the LOC ill have a reason to get un-lazy and hook up the second RCA.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Wow I must be a little rusty on the audio stuff, whats LOC again? i'm drawing a complete blank on it

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Duh, thanks :) all those RICH exhaust fumes must be killing brain cells :eek: gotta work on the tune some more :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts