Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, Ive been trying to find the subwoofer location in a 2000 taurus wagon with the mach stereo system. My research indicates this is the only year for subs in 4th gen. It should have come with the sub if it came with mach tweeters and mach rcu right? Ive been searching everywhere. I found the rcu(amp) next to the antennae on the drivers side. I couldnt find anyting about this all over the site so i apologize if this is a repeat thread.

dsaucie7

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Where did you get info that said a genIV ever had a subwoofer from the factory?

I haven't heard of it before but then again there aren't a lot of wagons.

Mike
:dunno:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
As far as "most" of us know wagons never came with a Sub. In the late 90's when the Mach and JBL units came around wagons actually came with a special edition of the JBL unit that is basically like a Mach rcu and has no sub output but makes up for the bass in the door speakers. Actually there has never been a Mach known to have a subwoofer option.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Wagons for 96 came with the Ford "Premium Sound" setup...this was found in export market Tauruses. But as RByers said, it's essentially MACH.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
+1 on no wagon ever coming with a subwoofer option.

However, if I had to choose a location for the subwoofer in a wagon, I would transfer the spare tire to the well under the third seat and put the subwoofer into a custom enclosure integrated into the side spare tire cover/well.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, exactly what i was looking for :notworthy: Would've been one bad-ass sounding wagon if they did!

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i would like to get a sub added it seems the jbl systems came with a sub, and the mach didnt. Does this mean the mach rcu cant handle 1 6x9 sub for the empty slot.

I was looking to add a sub in the empty slot inbetween the two rear speakers to add some bass. Maybe if the mach rcu isnt set up for a sub, then an alternative approach would be to just swap out the rear speakers with a pair of nicer speakers that have subs integrated inthem.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
QUOTE (dsaucie7 @ May 24 2010, 12:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806492
So i would like to get a sub added it seems the jbl systems came with a sub, and the mach didnt. Does this mean the mach rcu cant handle 1 6x9 sub for the empty slot.

I was looking to add a sub in the empty slot inbetween the two rear speakers to add some bass. Maybe if the mach rcu isnt set up for a sub, then an alternative approach would be to just swap out the rear speakers with a pair of nicer speakers that have subs integrated inthem.[/b]
Quick answer is this: you can't just add a subwoofer to the Mach RCU. There's not a subwoofer output on it. If you wanted something clean and don't want a box in the trunk the best option would be to buy a 6.5inch infinite baffle subwoofer, mount it in the middle of your rear deck, get a line out convertor that would hook into your rear speaker wires and give you a set of RCA outputs to hook up a small amp to power your subwoofer. You could go to a yard and find JBL RCU and get the RCU and factory subwoofer out of it. There is actually one at my local yard I just saw a week ago. As far as speakers, your factory speaker are the "same" as any speakers you buy. There are 2 way coax speakers. Simply means it has a woofer and a tweeter. The big part of the speaker is the woofer which gives you your lows and mids(bass) and the tweeter gives you your highs (words). But any aftermarket speaker WOULD increase the overall sound quality of your mach and even increase bass and such depending on the speakers.

-Robert

edit: now I'm lost. Do you have a wagon or a sedan? Not familiar with the wagons but you say yours has a empty hole between the rear speakers. Are we talking about a wagon or sedan?

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol Robert, its not your fault your confused, I was clearly jumping around in the topic. I have a newly aquired 04 ses sedan, found a taurus wagon off for parts. I guess i was just getting really excited and was looking for info without stopping for a moment and thinking clearly haha. I had read that the sub came in '96's & some '00's and simply applied this to wagons as well, oops :pat:

Your reply is exactly what I was looking for. I knew the mach amp didnt have a sub jack for a harness, but thought maybe the amp was supplying enough power to include a small 6x9 sub in the entire circuit, probably not tho :poop: . Either way, Im thinking going down the jbl amp/sub path, this would be sufficient amount of bass for an overall quality sound. pm sent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts