Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered an Infinity Basslink 10" Powered Subwoofer from Crutchfield, and an amplifier wiring kit.

The Basslink can use Preamp Outputs or Speaker Level outputs to operate, and since I'm using my stock stereo (already upgraded with four 6x8 Infinity Reference Speakers and a 10-Disc CD/MP3 Changer) I'm planning on using the Speaker Level connections.

The subwoofer also has a wired remote that needs to go somewhere in the car.

Anyway, I see that the amp has connectors for both front and rear speaker level connectors...why does a single 10" subwoofer need connections from both sets of speakers? Can't the feed from the (far more easy to access) rear speakers work, considering it's the same signal?

I'm also leary of running the power line to the trunk. I did this on my old Blazer, but I didn't care about drilling into the firewall and breaking trim to get the cords under the carpet...How hard would it be to run on my Sable?

Likewise, how hard would it be to run the wired remote cable up to the front of the car?

I'm trying to figure out of this is something I can do myself, or if I need to go down to Circuit City (will they install your non-circuit city equipment?) or somewhere and pay out the nose to have them do it.

It's not that I'm lazy, I just don't want to take apart all of the interior trim to run these lines, only to find something won't work. And I also would like to know just how these speaker level inputs work, and if I can somehow avoid having to run a line from the front speakers as well.

Actually, with the RCU right there, I could tap in to the speaker feeds from the trunk, couldn't I? But then I'd also need a pin-out/wiring diagram so I knew what wire went where.

Anyway, I'm just trying to gauge how difficult this is going to be ahead of time, so I can decide if I want to do it myself (preferred) or let someone else do it and then pay way too much.

Here's a link to the sub I got.

·
Registered
307 Posts
you should just need the back speakers..with my amp thats all it needed..i have RCA's but i looked at the connect...so you should be good with just the back ones..i would just try it and find out

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
I think if you never try you will never learn. I would have to say do it yourself. Thats how I got started and I think I'm rather good at what I do.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
get the stereo signal from the rear speaker

and let your amp mono out the signal for the sub and bridge itself out you will get a better handling of your sound

try it

·
Registered
790 Posts
yeah, do it yourself man.... the speaker wires from the RCU should be the same as those in the front, that wire in to the back of the head unit... if you have a diagram for an aftermarket set, or you can get ahold of a FORD wiring kit (metra or schoshe) then you have the colors labeled on there.

Otherwise, i say go ahead and tap into the speaker level connections in the back, my sony amp had a fourway plug that tapped into the r and l speaker level connections from the trunk.... and i didnt have any problems (although now i ran RCA from the aux out connection in the head unit to the amp so i dont have to ram the bass/sound all the way to the back to get it to pump)... That would be the only problem i can see, is by tapping into the back speaker level only, you have to tune balance to the back, so that you get more 'bump' sometimes.

as for running the remote.. with 16 feet of cable, you should be hella fine with wiring it somewhere up front, bring the wire out through the drivers side rear flipdown seat, and run it just under that left edge of the bottom cushion...then go for the drivers side floor trim (the vinyl trim at the bottom of the doors) for a place to hide the wiring, the trim edges pull up and you can just shove the wire under... and just run the remote right up next to your seat, or up under the e-brake release on the bottom of the dash.... the switch for my amp is run that same way, i just screwed it into the 'leather' dash panel, just under the brake relase...

·
Registered
221 Posts
I actually just installed an infinity basslink into my 2000 taurus a couple weeks ago. It's a little time consuming, but definetely install it yourself it's pretty easy.

I can take some pictures of the connections/wiring/sub if you'd like.

*edit*, and I just tapped the signal from the rear speakers... it's just a PITA if you tap the fronts too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got mine professionally installed only to get it mounted out of the way... the whole wiring thing had me freaked because I have climant control in the car and didn't want to short anything out... they tapped the amp for the factory speakers which was mounted behind the lining in the trunk... the hardest part was pushing the cable from the battery through the firewall to the kill switch I have installed on the floor board for the amp...

here are some images...

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...860_14_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_image...860_13_full.jpg

All the pics are on my site http://members.cardomain.com/wesleydt

I ALSO recommend a capacitor to ensure you won't kill your alternator or your battery prematurely...

My speakers are 12" 2600 watt Audiobahn Dubs and I have a 1000 watt Pyramid amp with a 1.2 farad Pyle capacitor... at 500 watts a channel, it sounds solid coming from my factory lined truck... it's deep.... <_<

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by PC_Marine@Oct 30 2004, 06:03 PM
I actually just installed an infinity basslink into my 2000 taurus a couple weeks ago. It's a little time consuming, but definetely install it yourself it's pretty easy.

I can take some pictures of the connections/wiring/sub if you'd like.

*edit*, and I just tapped the signal from the rear speakers... it's just a PITA if you tap the fronts too.
Pics would be great.

So all you have to do it tap one speaker, or one set of speakers?

-DC

·
Registered
389 Posts
I found this part funny...
Route the cable behind the dash or other interior panels and under the carpet. Do not route the cable outside the vehicle. Connect the cable on both ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts