1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive chosen my subs:
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/pr...Ser=REF&Cat=SUB

Infinity Reference 1030W

ive listened to them in a closed box which i want and they sound pretty awesome.....but my only problem is this....i dont know how they would sound in my 96 Taurus in the trunk and all....would it be best going w\ 1 sub or 2 subs? hows the sound in a Taurus w\ 1 or 2 subs? thats the only thing holding me back pretty much...and a good amp to power them thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I have one Infinity Reference 12" and it's more than enough for me, but I don't like being heard around the block. I like good backing sound, not overpowering sound. If I were you, I'd go with two tens. They'll take up less space and will sound much punchier than a set of 12's. Are you looking for punchy bass (rock) or booming bass (hip-hop)?

JR

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JR: i like a combo of both... booming and punch..but like urself...i dont want my neighborhood hearing it and attracting attention and someone tries to steal it....i just want some bass to compliment the song...not down out the song! lol i think i may go w\those 2 1030Ws, i found them on ebay for like 44$/ea while goodguys/circuit city want 89/ea <_<

·
Registered
746 Posts
saying that 10"s sound tighter and punchier than 12"s is a myth...

its all in the speaker and the install. a properly installed 15" will be as tight as a properly installed 8" or 10"

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have an Infinity Reference 12 in my trunk and it sounds beautiful. Hits everything I want it to from the bass lines of rap to the bass in rock. IMO, the Taurus (G3/G4) have the perfect design for a sub because the sound stays in the car due to the curvature of the roof lines.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have two 10" alpine type R's in my trunk and with the deck set right u can have it just so it adds some bass or have ur neighbourhood hearing it... but in my car (95 taurus GL) nothing rattles and seems to be affected by the bass... its a good car for subs.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I had 3 10" Infinity Perfects in mine, and they sounded pretty badass. Lots of rattles tho, mostly from the license frame & body panels.

I have 1 10" Perfect in my Mustang and it sounds very decent. I like rap more than rock so I have it in a vented box, but it still is ok for most rock songs.

My old setup:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Good choice. I would agree with JR. From what I've seen around the bigger you go the boomier but I could be wrong. I have 2 10s MTX. They hit pretty hard. I like em. However, I have heard good things about Infinity subs. Never heard em in a car though. If you have problems with rattle just get a dynomat license plate frame or what not. That should kill the license plate rattle. Plus there is the stuff for trunk lids if you want to do that. I had some cheap knock off stuff for my lid and it sounded horrible so i tore it out. I gotta get some new stuff to cover the ugly adhesive it left behind. My trunk has hardly any rattle though. However, dynomat and dynomax do make for a tighter hit.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I agree that the Gen III's curves make the car sound really good, and keeps the sound in the car. I only have a 400 watt Infinity amp, and it sounds sick tight, but isn't overpowering, and the neighborhood can't hear it. If you're only running 1 10 or 12, you really don't need to dynamat a Gen III, imho.

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Oct 17 2004, 09:39 PM
I had 3 10" Infinity Perfects in mine, and they sounded pretty badass. Lots of rattles tho, mostly from the license frame & body panels.

I have 1 10" Perfect in my Mustang and it sounds very decent. I like rap more than rock so I have it in a vented box, but it still is ok for most rock songs.

My old setup:

http://photos.imageevent.com/jtkz13/tauruspics/substaurus2.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url] [/b][/quote]

mmm...Infinity Perfects...mmmmm....

JR

·
Registered
324 Posts
I HAD two Rockford HE2 15's. They sounded great in the car and there was no bass outside. The rattling was ridiculous though, not as bad as some cars, but i couldn't bear it. No ratlle inside though, only outside.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
My buddy used to have a 86' Monte, and had two HE2's with about 1600 watts going through it. He had the whole thing dynamatted, and it rattled like crazy. For something like that, you really need good sound damping or else it'll drive you nuts.

JR

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Subs arent gonna be the biggest thing you worry about. Box and amp is everything. I have a bazooka 700 watt amp, Wave Box made for a 12 and a 50 dollar pioneer walmart sub. I can shake the glass on the resraunts when i park my car. Its insane. When I drive on the highway my friends say when they are a car ahead of me they can hear my base over their music. I just got this amp and i plan to get metered in the next few weeks. Im hoping for higher 140s. So ya get a decent 12 and then get a box and amp. I highly suggest a wave box and If you can get one holly **** its amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
....my trunks rattles quite a bit from the outside... :unsure: with stock speakers... :huh: (that means with no subs and crappy speakers)
i do have a wagon though but still...
:05:

J

·
0 Posts
I have two Phoenix Gold 12's in my car with a $10 box they threw in and a 2000w Legacy amp, if I have the amp turned up it will POUND, but it is still very clear, I really love the quality on them. At ROTB this year it put out 122 db or something like that (low 120's) and I was being very conservative on how high I turned the amp because I didn't want to risk blowing anything, I still had plenty of room left to turn it up more, but I was a scaredy cat and didn't. :unsure: :p

(This is on the stock HU, too mind you ;) )

·
Registered
46 Posts
right now i'm using one pioneer 2000spl being pushed by a MTX 1501D in a ported box and the only rattle that i hear is the rear seat belt. and you can see the package tray move about 1/2 an inch up and down.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I noticed for rattles in my gen 3... the carpet/cardboard panel in the back window hits the metal and makes nasty noise...I put old white fluffy speaker packing under it to get rid of it, it improved my bass response as well...probably because I shoved it in every hole I could find. (btw, I am just speaking of my Koves (100 watts rms, around 220peak) and the factory JBL sub...(yes I was queer and wired it to my head unit for frills)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts