Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me if bad subframe mounts would cause major engine movement? Similair to that of an engine mount being bad? My car will pull really hard to the side if I go WOT at any speed. Im trying to figure out if this is the culprit.

B

·
0 Posts
I can almost guarantee it. With a friend helping, and the emergency brake set, and a wheel chock for some added safety, look under the car while brake torquing the engine a little. I'd be willing to bet you'll find the subframe moving a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Dec 13 2003, 07:40 AM
I can almost guarantee it. With a friend helping, and the emergency brake set, and a wheel chock for some added safety, look under the car while brake torquing the engine a little. I'd be willing to bet you'll find the subframe moving a bit.
could this cause a kick bettwen 1st to second gear shift ? and too mine is pulling to the right (tought it was the trany... but guess not)

B

·
0 Posts
Pulling to the right under acceleration slightly is normal, any more than that, it's a symptom of bad mounts. The kick from 1-2 shift is pretty normal for these cars. It's most likely the super-slow shift you're feeling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Play in the subframe bushings is easy to check.

Open hood.

Start engine.

Turn steering wheel from stop to stop while observing the engine's position within the compartment.

If the SFBs are not securing the subframe to the body, there will be movement of the whole engine within the engine compartment, especially noticible closest to the firewall.

If the bushings are good and they are secure, there will be no movement of the engine withing the engine compartment.

Defective engine mounts will cause the engine to rock for or aft while brake-torquing in forward or in reverse.

Neither of the above procedures is particularly effective at diagnosing a worn/loose transmission mount.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts