Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any difference between 1 farad capacitor and 3 farad on 600 watts pick (300 RMS)? <_<

·
Registered
147 Posts
Back when caps first started being used, some autosound mag did a test and found out that they saw no improvement on amps under 1000 watts RMS. Save your money. Make sure the battery/charging system is as good as it can be and make sure your amp wiring job is bulletproof and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if my 12+ wire from the battery runs outside of a car a little bit (about 15 inch) from under the hood to the front door. Could it cause any distortion from wind, sun or something else?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
No, just be sure to properly insulate it in some split loom duct. Make sure it is fused for the wire size. Be sure to use plenty big wire too.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
power wire shouldn't be the cause of distortion. RCA cables next to power sources, (ie wires carying current) will cause distortion - just to clarify (that is, unless I missunderstand stuff)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose so.
Pretty soon I'll be done with my instalation and there could be some photos of my first instalation. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by n0K3p@Jun 11 2004, 12:20 AM
if my 12+ wire from the battery runs outside of a car a little bit (about 15 inch) from under the hood to the front door. Could it cause any distortion from wind, sun or something else?
no. inductance causes distornion in cables. wirings cariyings current parallet to a wire will inducat a current int it. kepp rca s away from power wire or cross perpendsucar if they touch.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
general rule of thumb <=500watts .. 1/2 fared... >500 -1000watts 1 fared... just what i read

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes I've had caps. They are now regulated to the brake lights where they give a subtle fade. If you have a battery that can deliver the power (Odyssey PC1200) and big enough primary wire (2ga at least) there is no need for caps.

Tell me. If a cap can discharge to maintain a voltage, how long does it take to recharge? And what happens when the voltage is dropped when the cap is recharging? With a very bass intensive bit of music does the cap ever get recharged?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me. If a cap can discharge to maintain a voltage, how long does it take to recharge? And what happens when the voltage is dropped when the cap is recharging? With a very bass intensive bit of music does the cap ever get recharged?
Hmm, that means something. Ok, I trust you.
For the first time I have usual Pyle on 600 watts sub (It plays the way much more his price). But in the future I'm planning to buy 2 Power Acoustic MOFO-12 (or FBX-12, haven't decided yet) and put'em in the trunk. So 2 farad will be enough to each of them? Or more? (All power of subs 2400 or 2800)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Don't waste your money on caps. Instead invest it in a good battery and the proper sized cables. How many amps is the amplifier fused at?

When a cap becomes discharge it turns into a load and will aggravate the situation. Again they are only band aids for a primary power supply that is too small or restricted.

A PC 1200 Odyssey battery can deliver 1200 amps in a 5 second discharge, hence the name. How many amps do you expect to use?

The money spent on a cap is about what an Odyssey battery and larger battery cables would cost over an OEM battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see what you are talking about. So, you think that stuff could be better than a few farad? And I want to run at least 1 power acoustic on 3000 watts and one more on about 1000. (I'm originally from Russia, so sometimes i misunderstand)

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If you want to run 3000 watts RMS, you're way beyond using caps, you're into Yellow Top or Optima batteries and upgraded alternators.

and I agree with SHOZ123 about caps being a scam.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you want mega bass, you have to have a cap..
i have a 3 farad digital on 2000 watt 4 chan amp to 2 12 inch infinity subs.

with the capacitor unhooked, my lights dim like crazy with the bass and i lose the much desired SLAM..

I hook it up and BOOOOM
instant bass boost..

can never have too much capacitance..
charges and discharges instantly. saves ur battery and alternator.

believe me.. i have went through 4 alternators before the capacitor install

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Originally posted by zoomdaddy@Jun 14 2004, 10:45 PM
If you want mega bass, you have to have a cap..
i have a 3 farad digital on 2000 watt 4 chan amp to 2 12 inch infinity subs.

with the capacitor unhooked, my lights dim like crazy with the bass and i lose the much desired SLAM..

I hook it up and BOOOOM
instant bass boost..

can never have too much capacitance..
charges and discharges instantly. saves ur battery and alternator.

believe me.. i have went through 4 alternators before the capacitor install
No it just means that your primary wiring and battery are not up to the job. A cap does not charge and discharge instantly. It may discharge in a few milliseconds but it will always take longer to recharge than the discharge time.

I do not say that your caps aren't doing the job for you, but I do say they aren't needed if the wiring is up to the job. Proper wiring and a good battery will help the entire car not just the bass BOOOOM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SHOZ123
So you think he has too thin wire, something about 8-12 gauge?
I need 4 gauge wire from the battery to connect 3000 w amp? You think that'll be enough?

zoomdaddy
What kind of wires do u have?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
First of all forget about the output rating of the amp to determine the input wire size. You need to know the input fuse size and get wire to match that.

I cannot think there would be many amps on the market that will need much more than #4 wire (105 amps). For 99% of the amps out there #6 would be enough (rated 80 amps). Be sure to use the same size wire for the ground and also be sure to fuse it at the battery end with a 75 to 100A fuse.

A good battery is just as important. Normal car batteries are made to start cars, and that's it. If you are going to use high current devices you need a battery that is capable of delivering high current on a day to day basis. I recommend an Odyssey battery.

Odyssey Factory

Odyssey batteries at Batteries For Everything

WayTek Wire is a good place to get the fuses and fuse holders.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts