Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering wut i will need to install my sub in my 1990 taurus and also a quick question do i need an amp to install the sub or could i do with out it

·
Registered
370 Posts
First off you need a box for the sub to go in. You will need to figure out what size and type of box it needs to be in (manufacturer should recommend a box type and size). It would be best if you got an amp for it that would have enough power to make it sound good.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I've installed a system in four different Gen 1 Tauruses. If you need any ideas or help send me a PM.

You will need to run power wires as well as RCA cables or if you plan on using the rear speaker outputs you will need and amplifier with hi-level inputs. You will need a box, there is lots of room in a G1 taurus so you don't neccessarily need to be looking for the smallest one either..
anyways, pm if you have more questions..

·
Registered
90 Posts
yea,.. right on both, but...pending on what kind of sub it is you might want a bandpass box for it, if you have just one, check pawn shops or sale ads there not bad for a one sub box, depends on the size it is though, and what kind, bandpass jack with the sound, im gonna get one for my 2 jl 12's but i dont know if i want a 2 or 3 sub box because i have 3 but use only 2 (not enough of an amp)....

but you want/need a good deck with 3 pre amp outs, unless you plan on runnin it off of the deck rear speakers which can be done but at mos, dependin on the deck your gettin 35-50watts per one but you cant tie both rear decks into it becasue it jacks with the (cant remember word needs sleep.)--point is it'll blow your back channels out of the cd player if your lucky most cases it blows the entire thing to crap...

an amp is useful just dont get one bigger than the wattage handling of the sub, unless its multi-channel and you plan on gettin more later, then i'd wait on the box if i was... but multi-channels divide the big number on the box by the # of channels like a 800w 4ch can go

--ex..- 800w-1ch(bridged) , 400w 2ch or 200w out of all 4

amp wiring kits are useful and will give all you need to hook it up for the most part....I have a scoche kit in mine, its a multi amp kit thats good for 1300watts... with the main power cord thats a 2gauge through the firewall, some people run it under their car(i've seen it...hehe...its a bad idea..), through there door at the corner where it meets like the end of the hood, or through the firewall... i've heard of some incidents, not in taurus', of wires in the firewall meltin or causin fires, but i haven't had a problem yet and i'm not worried about...
-Onwards; the trim provides anice place to hide your wires...you can mount the amp under your back seat somewhere or in the trunk, in or on the sub box, or if your reducing weight, were the donut/spare should be....

well, thats a small reference, have fun and bump away.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts