Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sub frame mount bolt has snapped, now what can I do? Surely it's not safe to drive with only 3 mount points? Anyone have this happen before?? Please advise. Thanks a million!!!

This is regarding the mount under passenger side floorboard.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Worst case there is a way to use a hole saw in the passenger side floor to gain access to the T bolt that the bolt screws into. Not sure exactly of the position, There was a recall long ago to reinforce that area due to corrosion failures. Ford recall number 98S36

It there is any bolt to grab with vice grips then heat and penetrating oil may help to free it up.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Worst case there is a way to use a hole saw in the passenger side floor to gain access to the T bolt that the bolt screws into. Not sure exactly of the position, There was a recall long ago to reinforce that area due to corrosion failures. Ford recall number 98S36
Thanks a lot!! I sincerely do appreciate all/any help I can get on this. If kit isn't available, any suggestion on size of hole saw to use? Where can I get a rubber plug to fill hole if floorboard when done? I definitely don't need to have the other rear mount bolt snap while driving, ...sounds like it'd be a handful to gather up! Sure puts a lot of stress on the other three mounts....I really need to fix this!!

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
The rubber plug could be just a disk of plastic with construction adhesive or RTV to seal the hole. You may be able to reuse the nut or may have to have a CT nut fabricated by welding a nut to a piece of steel strip. Not sure hole size but someone on the forum did it before you can search for a thread but I would think around 2-1/2 inch It is easier to go large than to have to make the hoke bigger. I thought the size was stated in the recall but maybe not.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
i had a past thread long ago on my 98.

i ended up using a hole saw with a angle drill. there was a outlined circle in mine that
i cut out. once the hole was open, i pb blastered the top of the broke off bolt and ended
up screwing it out by screwing it up with a bolt extractor tool on the top of the. I then
went to lowes in the plumbing dept and found a plug that would fit the hole i drilled
in the floor. got a bolt from the junk yard to replace the broken one.
I also had a pain in the ass on the drivers side front of my 98. needed a sub frame
mount and the bolt was stuck. i ended up cutting what was left off it off below the
subframe., now the fun began. that bolt went up into a thing called a "plate nut"
which is a nut welded to a flat plate which slides into a channel in the subframe.
the issue is how to get to it. There is a access hole on the engine side of the
subframe, but it would have required moving or removing too many things
that would probably break too and cause too much collateral damage.

I ended up drilling a 2.5 inch or so hole in the subframe forward of the plate
nut position. I then bent the tabs up holding the plate nut and removed it via
the hole i drilled. Got another plate nut from the junk yard. Put it in and bent the
tabs down on the top of it to hold it down.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
I learned from this post. When I buy a used Bull (9 of them) I remove the sub frame bolts one at a time being careful to not stress them. That might mean back and forth a few times. I replace them is shank is rusted, wire brush the threads and use grease on the shank, (not the threads). Once in 10 years if they have not been out. I lower the sub for Alt on DOHC, and for struts on all. On my '01 one bolt was so rusty the shank was maybe 25% there but it came out OK. Good supply of good bolts at the JY just around on the ground.
-chart-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts