Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do i drop the front sub frame and what other jacks do i need for my 99 taurus wagon to get the job done, so i can put the ball joint stud back in the lower control arm.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i never had to drop the sub frame. i angle the stud towards the hole and pry down the contrrol arm then push the strut in normally falls in with a little bit a elbow grease

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Assuming 99 is not different from 05, remove the plastic shield from the front bottom. Front subframe bolt will be exposed. On my 05 I had to remove the dog bone engine torque strut. Loosen the front and rear subframe bolts on one side only. No need to completely remove them. Several turns only. about 1/2 to 3/4" drop.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
i never had to drop the sub frame. i angle the stud towards the hole and pry down the contrrol arm then push the strut in normally falls in with a little bit a elbow grease
Agree. I never dropped a sub.

I have loosened contol arm bolts, not taken them out, and used a pipe to spring the end of the control arm. Bigger lever makes for less "elbow grease". :lol2:

-chart-

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Placing a jack will not hurt. You don't need to completely remove the bolts. Like many others I didn't lower the subframe for BJ job. But it will certainly make the job easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts