Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Taurus LX with the duratec and 136,000 miles on it.
Mil came on and pulled the following codes,p1131,p1137,p1151,p1157 p1116,
p1408 and had no returns from any of the o2 sensors.
Replaced all of the o2 sensors and the ect sensor. the EGR assembly looked fair. I even went so far as to pull the valve covers and check the timing of the valves.
When the covers were off I did notice the color was different than usaual. Bank one was the burnt oil brown color but bank two was a golden honey color. any thoughts?
Put it all back togather and now the codes are p0174,p1151,p1157 and there is returns from the o2 sensors however they are too low (.18 mv to .69 mv) on the upstream and around .69 on the donwstream on bank two.
Engine idles extermly rough like it has a dead miss but the plugs are getting fire and the color of the plugs indicate lean mixture.

The injectors seem to be fine and firing, all the vacuum hoses were in good shape,not split.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
bad cats? Maf issue? Just random guesses. sorry i could not help more.

are just the downstream reading low or the upstream too? that should help eliminate a few possibilities.

Brad

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both upstream and post cat levels are down. Haven't tested the MAF as of yet,but a difinite possability. Not sure if the injectors are clogged as this car has not really been diven that much in the last year.Less than 5000.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Isn't this the engine with the cooling system issues. The rear bank gets hot because of inadequate flow. This would account for the one cooked bank and I believe burnt valves are a result of this problem. Did you run a compression test.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have ran a compression check as follows;
#1-180 psi #2-180 psi #3-180 psi #4-190 psi #5-185 psi #6-190 psi.
These values don't seem to be out of line. The codes are are on the front bank
Which if I am reading the charts right, the bank closest the the front of the car is bank two.
At this point I am not ruling ANYTHING out and thanks for the comments,and please keep them coming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay here is the deal and maybe someone can explain it:

I checked the exhaust pipe on the bank 2 for loose or gaps. none. I did even up the amount of threads that was poking thru the nuts. It wasn't much difference
between the two maybe 2 or 3 threads.
Did a ohm check on all the wires and they were good. The only thing that I different in putting it back togather is that I ran shortest plug wire to nearest plug and the longest wire to the farthest plug.

The motor purrs like a kitten now and "like a scalded dog" to put it mildly.

With only a .04 difference in ohm readings between the longest and the shortest plug wire, would that be enough to cause a dead miss or is it just dumb luck that it is fixed?

Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts