Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Taurus. Car was running fine then went to start it and nothing. No radio, no dash lights, no clicking, no battery cranking, nothing. Would not start in neutral either. Showed no power to starter so replaced starter. Car ran for a short time then stalled out in traffic with same symptoms as above. Jiggled positive battery cable, POWER RESTORED, tightened cable. Next day won't start. Same as before, no lights, no dash, no radio... nothing.

Is this a positive battery cable issue, an ignition issue, an anti-theft type issue, a battery issue... stumped.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
sounds like a bttery cable problem to me... i would say most likely the fusible link by the starter is broken or there is a split in the insulation and it is very corroded and when you put the new starter in it made contact again for a while

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (sable23 @ Jun 21 2009, 11:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734020
sounds like a bttery cable problem to me... i would say most likely the fusible link by the starter is broken or there is a split in the insulation and it is very corroded and when you put the new starter in it made contact again for a while[/b]
I just jumped the dead battery and it worked and ran, shut it off, started it again, no problem. I put the jumper cable on the metal portion of the positive cable which clamps to the battery. If it was a bad cable the jump should not have worked because the jumper cables were attached to the clamp on portion of a supposedly bad cable. Since the jump did work does that mean the cable is okay and there is some other problem.... ie., fusible link as suggested.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
There are no fuseable links on the > '96 Tauruses.

Could be a broken post or buss internally in the battery. This could be potentially an explosive situation.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (SHOZ123 @ Jun 21 2009, 01:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734028
There are no fuseable links on the > '96 Tauruses.

Could be a broken post or buss internally in the battery. This could be potentially an explosive situation.[/b]
Well the post is not loose, the conection (post) has been paid close attention to so thar is not the issue and I am at a total loss as to what could be wrong. I'll bench check the battery tommorow ... but if that is okay.. and all the connections are okay ... what the he11 is next? What is a buss? Great qoute by Buckley by the way.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
it definatly sounds like something is not making a very good connection someplace... it could be a cable that is just loose or corroded someplace. i would try getting an ohm meter in there and start checking grounds and your cables see where that gets you wiggle them as you test to see if you can find something that will break contact. iirc you should not see a reading higher then .5 ohms in any ground wire or battery cable.

did you happen to test the battery at anytime when it did this? i would carry around a dvom and the next time it does it is when i would start testing for sure cause then if you find a high ohm reading you will most likely have found your problem

·
Registered
34 Posts
it's not too much work to completely replace the battery wiring harness. If it's anything like my 98, the cables are already pretty wimpy. There was a post on here about replacing the "big three" that covered replacing the positive and negative cables to the starter, mega fuse, block and body.

my thought is that you still have a bad cable somewhere.

it's a fairly simple upgrade, and would definately eliminate a lot of guesswork.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (KARI K @ Jun 22 2009, 07:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734182
it's not too much work to completely replace the battery wiring harness. If it's anything like my 98, the cables are already pretty wimpy. There was a post on here about replacing the "big three" that covered replacing the positive and negative cables to the starter, mega fuse, block and body.

my thought is that you still have a bad cable somewhere.

it's a fairly simple upgrade, and would definately eliminate a lot of guesswork.[/b]

My mechanic finally diagnosed this problem. A bad diode in the alternator. They missed it initially because it was intermittent and it took 20 min to surface this time. =New alternator $200 plus labor.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
good deal! glad you got it sorted out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts