Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my girlfriends car. At constant throttle I can feel a very noticeable stumble/studder or miss. Not sure what the correct term is. It's more noticeable when pulling a hill at a constant throttle, usually at lower RPM's. I can't tell if it's a fuel problem, a sensor going bad, or maybe a transmission problem. Anybody had this problem? I'm not very familiar with the Taurus but am fairly good with mechanics in general so hopefully I can repair it if I can figure out what it is (unless it's the transmission going). The check engine light hasn't been coming on so I don't know if a diagnostic test would be helpful or not. Thanks for any help!

Travis

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You may want to run the car over to AutoZone or the like and ask them to check for codes...could be some pending waiting to be set. Short of that...first an you tell us what the engine is? Click community on the black toolbar, then VIN decoder. Pop her VIN in and report back...thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It could be the ignition coil. Though, you might want to check a bit further before going through the change-out process.

Also, my '99 (AX4N tranny) which was rebuilt 85K miles ago, would add some shudder / misfire types of issues. I didn't suspect it was the tranny at first. A few weeks ago, I did a fluid drain and refill with a new filter. Starting about a week later, I started getting the P1744 (dreaded code).

I'd say you're at the crossroads point now - if it is actually the tranny. If you're capable of doing the work, all the better. However, if you're looking at $2,200 to have it rebuilt, it might just be better to sell it soon before any codes do get set and move along to something else.

Just my .02

Edit: I'll also add that I'm currently running some Lucas transmission "fix" fluid in my car at the moment that I added on Friday. Also, yesterday, I had the cooling system flushed and filled via the BG process ($120). I'll see if things improve this week as the Lucas runs through the tranny and integrates with the fluid. I'll still be keeping my code reader in my car so I can pull over and check the code if the light comes on during the day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts