Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 Sable with the Duratec motor which started to hesitate and stumble every once in a while a couple of months ago. But, since it did it so seldom, that is not every time I would drive it, I didn't think much of it until it started to do it more often. Now, it stumbles for less than a second, but is doing it every time it is driven at least once every minute or so. The car starts and runs just fine otherwise. No codes are present and I check it everyday. Changed the fuel filter a week ago but no luck - still stumbling. Just added some injection cleaner today so I won't know if this has helped for a few days (retired and don't drive much in the snow if I don't have to). The car has just over 47,000 miles on it and has always run extremely well. All maintenance has been done on a regular basis and only full synthetic lubricants have been employed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a failing COP (coil on plug) can cause these symptoms.
[/b]
I thought about that, but wouldn't a code show up if that were the case? And, up till now no codes are being displayed. I would think that the cause should be in the electrical system since it runs fine between stumbling for a split second. A can of injector cleaner was added a couple days ago to a quarter of a tank but the cold and snow have made it difficult to actually know if any improvement has taken place. I'm going to hope that it it is a fouled injector and maybe if the forcasted blizzard passes below us here in Michigan and dumps on Indiana instead I will be able to post a simple cure for the Duratec's symptoms. Thanks for the input though, I was wondering if anybody even read my original post.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
It could be throwing a pending code (one that won't trigger a CEL). Go pick up a $40 OBD-II w/CAN protocol code reader from Harbor Freight. Great tool.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could be throwing a pending code (one that won't trigger a CEL). Go pick up a $40 OBD-II w/CAN protocol code reader from Harbor Freight. Great tool.
[/b]
I have a ScanGauge by Linear Logic installed on my dash and all I have to do is push a button while running down the road to display any stored codes. All it says is "No Codes Found" and "-Ready-" but maybe I should try the reader at the shop Tuesday and see if they both agree. Being an older car guy I do not like to be stumped by my own car, yet I guess it happens to everybody, and sometimes more than once. I'll keep you informed on my progress. Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
when my car misfired it picked and chose when it wanted to send a code, it would send it then i would clear it and it didnt come back for like 750 miles.

if you replace-

plugs
wires
dpfe
egr
pcv vacuum line

gaurentee the problem will be gone.

my car runs perfect now. think it was a combination of the pcv and bad plug on cyl 3.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I have a ScanGauge by Linear Logic installed on my dash and all I have to do is push a button while running down the road to display any stored codes. All it says is "No Codes Found" and "-Ready-" but maybe I should try the reader at the shop Tuesday and see if they both agree. Being an older car guy I do not like to be stumped by my own car, yet I guess it happens to everybody, and sometimes more than once. I'll keep you informed on my progress. Thanks all.
[/b]
Heh, I have one too...ScanGaugeII. The scangauge doesn't pick up pending codes though, only ones that cause the check engine light to turn on. I wish LinerLogic would have built that into the ScanGauge II (pending codes), but maybe in the next model they will.

A little young to have a COP fail, but it's certainly not unheard of...and the repair isn't too tough as long as it's on cylinders 4-6 :lol2:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the ScanGaugeII does display all DTC's as described on pages 7 & 8 of the manual. But, just to be sure I hooked up my trusty "Creader" made in China trouble code reader. Same thing - no codes. So I cleaned the MAF with CRC MAF cleaner and checked the IAT which also was clean. Sprayed some brake parts cleaner and blew it out and replaced it. Now I haven't driven the car because of the weather so I do not know if any of these things have helped but I suspect that the trouble may lie with the EGR tubes being a little plugged up only because the IAT and TPS should give a code. Same for the COP's if bad. But, maybe the program isn't that sophisticated to pick up such things as an intermittent problem. I'll post the results up to now as soon as the weather breaks. Sometimes western Michigan near the big lake can be nasty.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did a lot of things while the snow was falling outside. Changed fuel filter. Cleaned grounds, vacuum lines, and negative battery terminal. Pulled every connector off, added some dielectric and reconnected. Cleaned the MAF and IAT sensors. But, I think the addition of a can of injector cleaner to less than a half a tank with a second bottle at fill up when the gauge read empty probably did the trick. The Sable runs fine again so I guess the fuel pump can feel safe for the time being. I believe it actually runs better than before I started cleaning things, but that might just be subjective wishfulsness. Anyway, I am getting better gas mileage now according to my ScanGaugeII and that can't be bad. Thanks everyone for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts