Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 SE Taurus 3.0 Duratec, stumble while driving 35 to 45 mph. worse when engine warm. all general maintenence ( plugs, wires, coil pack, basic sensors, ) changed . no codes. please help.

·
Registered
388 Posts
TPS ? (Throttle position sensor)
VSS ? (Vehicle speed sensor)
IACV ? (Idle air control valve)

Also define stumble. It has different meaning to every one.
Missing? Sputtering? Clunking in and out of gear ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no apparent sputter is felt at idle, under load between 35 and 45 is when it is felt most.. turning off overdrive does not change anything.

·
Registered
388 Posts
1st thought is VSS ( vehicle speed sensor).
Hit up the local Ford dealer and talk to a tech there.
I am not positive but I don't think a VSS will not send out a code to the ECC because the trans has its own computer that gains all info from the VSS and the TPS.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It's definitely not a clutch pack problem IMHO or it would slip like you were driving a stick and holding the clutch in to long while accelerating. You would smell trans fluid from the pop off valve to I would imagine from the extra heat created by the slippage. The fluid would definitely smell like burnt bearing grease on the dip stick as well and probably be burnt looking like a brown color instead of light red.

Ask the shop if a TCC will create that stumble, or the IAC.
Short of a bad torque converter its a fair guess that trans does not need a rebuild base don description though.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
1st thought is VSS ( vehicle speed sensor).
Hit up the local Ford dealer and talk to a tech there.
I am not positive but I don't think a VSS will not send out a code to the ECC because the trans has its own computer that gains all info from the VSS and the TPS.
[/b]
The EEC.. or PCM as it's now called... is the same computer for the engine and tranny - the tranny doesn't have its own computer.

The IAC won't likely cause this, since the IAC mostly comes into effect when the throttle is closed, which is why it's called the Idle Air Control valve.

A failing TPS would normally cause problems under several conditions, and often based on throttle position, not necessarily road speed. Since the problem only occurs between 35-45, it's not likely the TPS.

It could be the torque converter causing the shudder as it tries to lock up. Usually it'll set a code if it tries to lock, and fails, too many times.

The VSS could be a possibility, but i have another one for you - EGR. The EGR valve opens during cruise conditions, which is what you'd be doing while driving along at 35-45. If your EGR ports are starting to get plugged up, you can get more EGR flow into one or two cylinders than you get in the rest, which can cause those cylinders to misfire. When it gets bad enough, you'll get a misfire code. Since EGR doesn't come on under high throttle, you don't get the miss when you're stepping on it. Nor does EGR come on at idle. It's pretty easy to check this at the dealership, as we can hook up the diagnostic computer and do a power balance test, which basically shows how much work each cylinder is doing in relation to the others. Then we manually open the EGR valve with a vacuum pump, and watch what it does. If we see one or two cylinders dropping out, we know they're getting more EGR flow than the others, so the other ports are getting plugged. If all the cylinders are dropping out equally, then plugged EGR ports isn't the likely cause. If you feel like doing a bit of work, you could pop off your upper intake manifold and check the ports yourself. If they're plugged, use a small drill bit or wire brush to clean them out. I do this pretty frequently at the shop, tho it's more common on the 3.8L than it is on the 3.0L.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
???? one question, took IAC off to clean and inspect. plunger moves 1/4 inch freely with a little resistance. good or bad?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
???? one question, took IAC off to clean and inspect. plunger moves 1/4 inch freely with a little resistance. good or bad?
[/b]
Honestly, i've never moved the plunger by hand, but i think if you look in there, you'll see a spring, which makes me think that if you're just pushing it against the spring, it would normally move some. The IAC won't be the problem anyway. Sticking IAC valves most commonly cause idle concerns and stalling, not what you're getting, since the throttle will be open as you're driving down the road, which makes the IAC useless at that point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
finally turned on engine light. code= p1744. transmission slippage? tcc solenoid? previously on different 96 lx model, i had to replace the clip that holds the tcc solenoid in the valve body? possible ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
P1774 = (CAN) Link Gear Shift Module/(TCM). I would say that means hydraulic pressure is to low due to a bad solenoid more then likely.
Its possible its a clip again but I wont say that's what it is for sure though. Could a lot of things. But you wont know until its apart.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
96-97 good
98-99 good
99-2000 maybe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
having trouble finding either shift kits or the tcc lock up solenoid. any websire to order from, local dealers have to order from out of state.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THE SHIFT SOLENOIDS , THE PRESSURE SOLENOID, AND THE TCC SOLENOIDS ARE INTERCHANGABLE FROM 3.0 DURATEC AX4N TO 3.4 SHO WITH AX4N?

·
Registered
512 Posts
the only place i can think of is getting the tcc solenoid is at the dealership and to me it wasn't much for one cause mine keeps throwing the p1744 code and i come up with the same thing is the solenoid. but mine may need a rebuid so i'm waiting on that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts