Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I had the pleasure of attending and participating in the ILGPC track/ mod day. On Saturday about 100 of us got together and worked on our cars and today we took them all down to US41 in Morocco, Indiana to see what kind of times we could pull.

The following pictures are of the resounding chaos with a little commentary thrown in. :)

http://www.midwestsho.com/images/modday001small.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
This picture is of my slightly modified intake system. People give you a lot of funny looks when you're driving down the street like this. Then again, perhaps it was the melted rubber all over the side of the car or the "13.90" chalked on the windows that drew the attention. :)
-------------------------------------------------------

[img]http://www.midwestsho.com/images/modday004small.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
My car in race attire.

[img]http://www.midwestsho.com/images/modday008small.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
This is Intense Racing's 10 second turbo Grand Prix. It's fast! :)

[img]http://www.midwestsho.com/images/modday009small.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
Another 10 second Grand Prix up against an 11 second Bonneville

[img]http://www.midwestsho.com/images/modday014small.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
Adam Pictor's MP112 equipped GTP. There is a semi-funny story behind this car (if you're not Adam). He is actually awaiting a race block with a custom cam, pistons, crank, etc and was also running a stock exhaust. With the extremely large blower and the intercooler on the stock block he was getting a lot of knock and still hitting low 14's. When he gets the cam and the rest of the goodies installed the car will make an easy 12 second pass.

--------------------------------------------------------

[img]http://www.midwestsho.com/images/modday023small.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
Another shot of the 11 second Bonny.

[img]http://www.midwestsho.com/images/modday0026small.jpg' border='0' alt='user posted image' class='attach' />
Another shot of the 10 second Prix.

I had an interesting day. Each of my runs was quicker than the last, but with constanly high 60ft time of 2.2 - 2.3 seconds. To compare, my buddy's car was pulling the same ETs with a 2.0 60ft. Once I get some tires on here 13's are 100% and that made me happy so I stopped racing after my last run. So without further redue:

Run 1: [email protected] (2.2 second 60ft)
Run 2: [email protected] (2.2 second 60ft)
Run 3: [email protected] (2.3 second 60ft - ACK!)

I can't wait to get some tires!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Looks like it was a great day! Nice times, too!

I agree, with better tires and race gas, you'll easily be into 13's.

Nice GTP, btw. I'm a big fan, but sadly too broke to own one of my own. (God, I sound like a ricer! Heh...)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Is the time stamp screwed up on your camera? It stamped all the photos as 1/6/99. Also, not to be a d***, but do you have scans of your timeslips???

JR

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah my camera's batteries were dead and I always forget to turn the date stamp off when reusing it.

I can get pics of the slips. I didn't think anyone would have a hard time believing it. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Wheelie bars on a FWD car? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
64 Posts
low 14s is normal (and good!) for a GTP on street tires and premium.
13s are easily possible with tires and race gas, also a few runs (have to get to know the track :D )

·
Registered
54 Posts
You should rig up a system that removes the foglight, and run the intake through that. That would be slick.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Persephone@May 17 2004, 02:05 PM
low 14s is normal (and good!) for a GTP on street tires and premium.
13s are easily possible with tires and race gas, also a few runs (have to get to know the track :D )
With my 60ft times and trap speeds I shouldn't need race gas to get 13's. With a set of new tires (these runs were made on 20% Eagle RSAs) I should be deep into the 13's.

Wheelie bars on a FWD car?
They aren't there for show. They lift the back end slightly to put weight on the front wheels. I'm not sure how you could roll your eyes at a 10 second car.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
those pics are fake, look at the date, he prolly got them off some other forum and he doesnt even own a gtp. he drives a 1987 dogde shadow.

lol jk

i have 2 rules when it comes to racing...
1.never race against anything with slicks
2. never race against anything with a wheelie bar

wow

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon@May 17 2004, 11:23 AM
Wheelie bars on a FWD car? :rolleyes:
Agreed. They look very :gay: on a FWD car.

·
Registered
131 Posts
^^^ Actually they are NOT ghey at all, they help lift the rear wheels up a little and puts more weight onto the fronts for better traction, god knows fwd sucks at traction so it needs as much as possible, and these are family sedans running faster than lots of cobras and corvettes :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats also why they are running skinnies in the back if you didnt notice. Mikey, gotta love that L67 lol!!!! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :banana: Seriously Ford should have built the 3.8 up and gotten rid of the head gasket problems, put the s/c on it, and most importantly make a tranny to hold that power, screw the high tech SHO, that would have given the s/c w-bodies a good run for their money!!!!! B) B) ;)

Oh yeah, if you've ever heard the sound of the turbo GP running :eek: :eek: :eek: that thing is soooooo sweet when it spools up, like a whistlin freight train lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
BTW AFAIK the turbo car is still running a full interior with rollcage, it can also be street driven with no major problems ;) And its pushing what 450hp at the wheels? :D If you guys want slips, go to www.clubgp.com and theres a page with the fastest GPs right now

·
Registered
318 Posts
Originally posted by MISHNAH@May 17 2004, 07:44 PM
^^^ Actually they are NOT ghey at all, they help lift the rear wheels up a little and puts more weight onto the fronts for better traction, god knows fwd sucks at traction so it needs as much as possible, and these are family sedans running faster than lots of cobras and corvettes :eek:  :eek:  :eek: Thats also why they are running skinnies in the back if you didnt notice. 
If you ever studied Physics, statics and dynamics particularly, you'd know about dynamic weight transfer.
Wheelie bars on a FWD car are about as useless as teats on a telephone pole. Those bars aren't even making contact with the pavement until the front wheels have been unloaded, and the load has been shifted to the rear wheels.
The cars may, indeed, run 10's or 11's, but those silly wheelie bars can take no credit for it.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Sablewagon+May 17 2004, 10:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sablewagon @ May 17 2004, 10:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MISHNAH@May 17 2004, 07:44 PM
^^^ Actually they are NOT ghey at all, they help lift the rear wheels up a little and puts more weight onto the fronts for better traction, god knows fwd sucks at traction so it needs as much as possible, and these are family sedans running faster than lots of cobras and corvettes :eek:  :eek:  :eek: Thats also why they are running skinnies in the back if you didnt notice. 
If you ever studied Physics, statics and dynamics particularly, you'd know about dynamic weight transfer.
Wheelie bars on a FWD car are about as useless as teats on a telephone pole. Those bars aren't even making contact with the pavement until the front wheels have been unloaded, and the load has been shifted to the rear wheels.
The cars may, indeed, run 10's or 11's, but those silly wheelie bars can take no credit for it. [/b][/quote]
:withstupid:

That's what I was thinking... if the bars aren't even touching the ground how do they help? The front end can't possibly raise enough to make those bars go all the way to the ground when they take off... :headscratch:

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I remember seeing a civic w/ wheelie bars on tv a while ago. It had a moveable set-up, either pressurized co2 or hydraulics would push the bars down so that it lifted the rear a little. It seemed to help.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Sablewagon+May 17 2004, 09:40 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sablewagon @ May 17 2004, 09:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MISHNAH@May 17 2004, 07:44 PM
The cars may, indeed, run 10's or 11's, but those silly wheelie bars can take no credit for it. [/b][/quote]
Ask questions to cure the ignorance rather than making ASSumptions. :)

The load bars are dropped and lift the rear of the car when the car is placed in position to race. They are then raised after the launch. They are very effective and with all due respect I would take the word of the guys that put that car into the 10's rather than someone that says they're useless.

They are obviously doing something right dontchya think? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts