Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in New England, and the winter storms here can get pretty bad, my question is, should I invest in studded snow tires, studless snow tires, or leave my all season tires on. I do not have ABS or T/C. Has anyone used studded tires before?

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I have studded tires on my Falcon (RWD, of course.) They are extremely helpful on ice. I thought with all the burnouts I did in the Falcon I would have worn the studs down, but it seems to just destroy the asphalt instead. In fact, the studs even saved the tread from wearing down. Plus, I can still go see my car's "signature" in the parking lot of my old apartment.

There are really two disadvantages that come to mind. They offer less traction than regular tires on dry or wet surfaces. It's really easy to burn out accidentally. The other disadvantage is the constant "clackety-clackety-clackety" that you hear, although you get used to it pretty quickly.

I would go with the regular winter tires. Michelin makes a good set in Taurus sizes. I forget which one was recommended--it was either the Pilot Alpin or the Arctic Alpin (one of those two was bunk, and the other was excellent.) Ask SHOZ123. I think he has had both of them on his car at different times.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Blizzak M-50's or something are the best, if I could aford them, thats what I'd get. I might have to run my summer rims just so I can drive on tires that actually have tread...

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
You could also get regular winter tires that already have the holes built into them so you can install studs yourself, should you find yourself needing more grip on packed snow and ice.

Also, it would help the roads if you get the lightweight studs instead of the regular one...I've read somewhere that they reduce road damage by up to 15%, and some states (like WA) require that you only use lightweight studs, if you have studded tires.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
Studded snow tires are illegal in the state of WI.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Arctic Alpins all the way. It will take you years to wear them out.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by 97vulcan@Dec 7 2003, 05:14 PM
Studded snow tires are illegal in the state of WI.
where in wisconsin are you from??? Minocqua here...

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can only stud tires before you use them on your car. If you run a studable tire on the road before it's studded you will pick up tiny rocks in the stud holes and they can work their way into the tire and cause leaks if studs are installed over them. Forget about running studs in an older studable tire. In our shop we charge between $20.00 to $30.00 per tire to stud them.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Dec 7 2003, 05:56 PM
Arctic Alpins all the way. It will take you years to wear them out.
I agree with Paul. The AAs are a great tire. I once tried Blizzak WS50 tires. They had slightly better ice and snow grip than the AAs, but they wore quickly. I used up a set in just 5000 miles. On dry roads the Blizzaks are downright horrible. Braking and steering on dry road were worse that the Michelin gravel rally tires I had on my old Sport Quattro - and they were bad. Come to think of it, those gravel tires were actually better in the snow than the Blizzaks. I venture as far as to say the Blizzaks are dangerous in emergency situations on dry road. I'll never buy another set.

My last set of AAs got me through 4 winters here in Canada. By the 4th winter the rubber was beginning to harden and wet road traction was diminished. I'm putting 4 new ones on the SHO tomorrow morning.

Mark
95 SHO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts