Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my power door lock actuator on the drivers side rear door. Everything seemed to go back together right. The only thing is that plastic lever for the child lock in the latch had a worn tip. I figured it was ok because I would never use it.Tested the function of the actuator and it was working. I left the door panel off and closed the door. Now I can’t open the door from the inside or the outside. It’s like it’s locked. How can I get it open? I’ve tried everything. Could the child lock have something to do with this? If so how do I disable it to open the door? Please let me know.
Thanks
Steve D

·
Registered
180 Posts
I replaced my power door lock actuator on the drivers side rear door. Everything seemed to go back together right. The only thing is that plastic lever for the child lock in the latch had a worn tip. I figured it was ok because I would never use it.Tested the function of the actuator and it was working. I left the door panel off and closed the door. Now I can’t open the door from the inside or the outside. It’s like it’s locked. How can I get it open? I’ve tried everything. Could the child lock have something to do with this? If so how do I disable it to open the door? Please let me know.
Thanks
Steve D
Child lock should only affect the INSIDE door handle. If the child lock is enabled, and the door lock is in the unlocked position, the outside door handle will still allow you to open the door. At least in theory....

My '95 came to me with a stuck rear door. So, I crawled across the back seat, pulled the inside handle, and gave the door a mighty good shove. Yes, it opened. Once I got the door opened, I gave the latch mechanism a good soaking with WD-40 (I know, really that's the wrong stuff, but it's what I had on hand).

So, my first question would be this: Is the door lock in the "unlocked" position? Can you lock/unlock it by manually pulling the lock handle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. After about a good hour plus we were finally able to get it open. Seems that the cause was the plastic arm for the child lock in the latch was really worn out on the end that triggers the part of the latch where the cable from the inside door handle operates. ( that was the part that I thought would be ok but it wasn’t) I have zip tyed it for now & door works. But I have to go get another latch assy & that long door lock rod linkage from the wrecking yard. I have to start over again with that rear door actuator & latch.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for your reply. After about a good hour plus we were finally able to get it open. Seems that the cause was the plastic arm for the child lock in the latch was really worn out on the end that triggers the part of the latch where the cable from the inside door handle operates. ( that was the part that I thought would be ok but it wasn’t) I have zip tyed it for now & door works. But I have to go get another latch assy & that long door lock rod linkage from the wrecking yard. I have to start over again with that rear door actuator & latch.
I'm glad you got the door open, and that you can fix the problem. It's unfortunate that you have to start over, but I suppose it's better to find out now, before you put the door panel back on, right? Yes, I know... It would have been even better if you'd found out BEFORE you did the work in the first place......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts