Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to change my spark plugs today but the boots seem to be glued to the spark plug. I was pulling on them pretty hard, but I didn't want to damage them. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove stubborn spark plug wire boots? It's a '92 GL with a vulcan.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but expect to replace the wires with the plugs. Even when mine came off OK, I got a stuttering at idle and hesitation on acceleration b/c the wires were shot with wrenching the plugs. Do yourself the favor $35-40.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
When you do put them back on apply the silicon grease that comes with the new wires it will prevent the boots from sticking. I also think that if the wires are that hard to come off it is time to replace them.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never had a problem when I didn't replace my wires. I replaced them not too long ago anyway, that's why I didn't feel like buying another set. Well I may end up buying a new set if I have to rip the bastards off. I'll be sure to use the silicone grease this time. Anyone have a favorite spark plug wire they like to use?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
rock the boots back and forth while pulling. that will help widen the clips in the boots out.

Moroso and MSD make great 40 Ohms/foot wires. I know that for MSD you have to order the ranger wires, but they work on the vulcan.

·
Registered
352 Posts
With your right hand grab the plug wire. with your left hand grab between your legs and see if your a man. Then pull the wire off! :fart:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I always run into stuck spark plug boots at work... Usually I just reach for the 45 degree bent needle nose pliers and grab the boot from the front section, then twist and pull back. This always happens, even with silicone on the connector, its just the metal ring that "grabs" the plug.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jun 12 2004, 11:44 PM
With your right hand grab the plug wire. with your left hand grab between your legs and see if your a man. Then pull the wire off! :fart:
Alrighty then. I'll be sure to pull with my right hand rather than my left hand. :eek:

I'll just use the needle nose pliers suggestion and buy new wires, making sure to put the silicone on this time. Thanks for the help guys.

B

·
0 Posts
Also, you can get a proper plug wire plier at Autozone. They're about $10 or so. I got one about a month ago, and I haven't regretted it. To think, for 20 + years I've been doing it the hard way!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Twist. It works. :p

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I tend to favor the twist and pull method myself. Tho, with my SHO, this is unnecessary, since apparently my spark plug wells are a part of the engine oiling system also, and therefore receive a steady flow of oil. <_<

Anyone in the NYC metro have a 60k toolset that I can borrow/ rent? :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts