Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 435 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. This is my first post and I am glad to be here.

I am installing an STS Universal Turbo system on my 06 Taurus. Hampstead Autobody in Manchester, MD is doing the work bending the pipes and such. I just had a few questions and no-one; even the Ford techs has, answers for me. :(

I bought a new ECM to send out and have it tuned for the turbo. The company doing the tuning wants to know the following:

How many lbs are the fuel injectors good for?
Whats the injector pulse length?
How much fuel will the fuel pump flow?

I am not worried about the tranny taking the power or anything like that because they are doing some "beefing" of the auto transmission.
I am also adding a stand alone fuel management system from Apexi. Any other problems can be worked out later.

Any doubts? Check out STSturbos.com and look at the universal kits. We are going to push 6lbs of boost through it with an intercooler up front. As soon as it's done I will post pics for everyone.

Right now the car has:

Custom headers, (has to be removed)
1.5 inch throttle body spacer, (has to be removed)
K+N air filter (has to be removed)

Any help on this information would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
putting a turbo on a taurus is like lighting a cigarette with a flamethrower; the risk out weighs the reward...

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
lets see some pics.... and why not just go 5 speed while your at it? there hasnt been a turbo gen 4 yet or a 5 speed gen4 so if your gunna go all out just be the first at both. gunna cost probably $10,000 but if your really into it everyone here will share support.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow the links to STS Turbos. It's a good kit and only runs about $1700 for the kit. Another $1500 for the install at the shop. Then roughly $700 for the tranny work. I had to invest in gauges, and some other random parts but thats it.

"and why not just go 5 speed while your at it?" You wanna play and burn off tires get a manual. You want straight line performance...an auto is the way to go. Besides the AX4N auto tranny in this car is strong enough to hold the 250+ hp that should happen after the install and the tuning with the new ECM. I am having the extra work done on it as a precaution.

Pics will be posted as soon as I get it back from the shop. She's sitting up on a lift till the piping comes in and gets installed. The turbo is on and all the lines are run. Just waiting on that intake piping. I'll try to get over to the shop in the a.m. and get a few pics to post.

"Beefy" means heavy duty gears and internals. I have no clue what is going on with it. I built a 9.8 second malibu in high school and in the Corps. I have worked on the old cars that you can work on it with a wrench instead of a laptop. The shop is reputable and I trust them that they know what they are doing.

And SHOZ123. thanks for the numbers. It's appreciated.

If you want to see some videos of STS Turbos in action search for them on YouTube.

I realize that it's just a Taurus but it's mine and I like it. Overkill or not I want to see the first ricer come against me thinking, "Eh, it's a Taurus, what can he do?" That would be the point behind a sleeper. Next comes a diet to dump some of the weight of that pig.
I had someone ask me, "Why a Taurus? For the money you are spending you could have a seriously fast Honda." I replied that I don't own a Honda. I own a Taurus and I like it. No-one has done this yet. Why not be the first.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think we need to relax with new members coming in and asking for advice. It seems like anytime someone comes and asks about forced induction or large wheels for their taurus this place turns into a flame fest. Everybody needs to put their dicks away, I enjoy visiting this forum but you guys can sometimes be downers. I would really like to see where he takes this project and hope that he updates, posts pictures and videos of course!. I can't personally add much to the thread but just felt the need to give my opinion on the unnecessary bashing that often occurs here.

/rant

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I like this guys enthusiasm. I just hope he continues to update us with his project and doesn't fade away like the other guys. Seeing is believing, so we hope for lots of pics! :)

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Sabunimwil @ Jun 25 2009, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735259
Follow the links to STS Turbos. It's a good kit and only runs about $1700 for the kit. Another $1500 for the install at the shop. Then roughly $700 for the tranny work. I had to invest in gauges, and some other random parts but thats it.

"and why not just go 5 speed while your at it?" You wanna play and burn off tires get a manual. You want straight line performance...an auto is the way to go. Besides the AX4N auto tranny in this car is strong enough to hold the 250+ hp that should happen after the install and the tuning with the new ECM. I am having the extra work done on it as a precaution.

Pics will be posted as soon as I get it back from the shop. She's sitting up on a lift till the piping comes in and gets installed. The turbo is on and all the lines are run. Just waiting on that intake piping. I'll try to get over to the shop in the a.m. and get a few pics to post.

"Beefy" means heavy duty gears and internals. I have no clue what is going on with it. I built a 9.8 second malibu in high school and in the Corps. I have worked on the old cars that you can work on it with a wrench instead of a laptop. The shop is reputable and I trust them that they know what they are doing.

And SHOZ123. thanks for the numbers. It's appreciated.

If you want to see some videos of STS Turbos in action search for them on YouTube.

I realize that it's just a Taurus but it's mine and I like it. Overkill or not I want to see the first ricer come against me thinking, "Eh, it's a Taurus, what can he do?" That would be the point behind a sleeper. Next comes a diet to dump some of the weight of that pig.
I had someone ask me, "Why a Taurus? For the money you are spending you could have a seriously fast Honda." I replied that I don't own a Honda. I own a Taurus and I like it. No-one has done this yet. Why not be the first.[/b]
That's a great deal... I think. Last time I priced it out the turbo was as you stated ~$4g, but the transmission hardening , including a torque converter, gears, pump, clutch plates, and various other stuff from sensors to line was ~$2.5g. Your HP gains will take your transmission and rip it's guts out if you aren't careful. At least that's what I've been told.

Where are you placing the turbo on the car? I was told the turbo would probably crack the plastic intake manifold in a short time if not mounted perfectly.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The turbo from STS replaces the muffler in the back of the car. There is no real need for an intercooler due to the length of the intake tubing. I really can't wait for this to get finished.
I am excited about it. I appreciate some of you not tearing into me and / or coming to defend me. I like to build cars that no-one else has worked on. I built a supercharged 99 hyundai elantra 3 years ago. It had the 2.0L beta motor in it bored .20 over, milled heads, aluminum intake, big bore throttle body, hyperectic (sp?) pistons, balanced crank shaft, and shark racing cams. I had the ECM programmed by ECT tuning, and an MSD 6A ignition system. I bought all the parts from shark racing that I could and then had the rest fabricated. It would roach the tires hitting 3rd gear and chirp them in 4th with the manual transmission and triple friction clutch.

I checked with Hampstead Auto body this morning and they ordered parts from Ford for my tranny. They found the torque converter at Shosource.com. They are going to get into detail with me this afternoon when I stop in. I will also take a few pics to post. I will put them up on photo bucket and post a link here this afternoon.

Thanks for the "boost" of confidence. Pics coming today.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's some pics I took this morning of the turbo installed but no piping running to the intake yet. More pics to come over the next few days.

Oil return line tapped into the valve cover.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/sa...bo/P5240014.jpg

Control module mounted to the fire wall.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/sa...bo/P5240015.jpg

Remote mounted turbo without the piping to the intake.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/sa...bo/P5240012.jpg

Turbo and oil pump.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/sa...bo/P5240013.jpg

Turbo and oil pump.
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj81/sa...bo/P5240011.jpg

They are waiting on the intake piping which should be in tomorrow. So the car is out in the storage area sitting quietly......waiting.
Tomorrow they are cutting into my spare tire well to mount the air cleaner inside the well. Then they are going to place a removable cover over the inside of the well to keep the drone sound out of the car. This will keep the air cleaner dry and safe from damage. The spare tire well will be vented to supply fresh air to the turbo intake. My spare tire will sit inside the trunk now. That's OK with me. This was something extra that we devised. I didn't like the idea of my air cleaner being 9 inches off the ground in the back of the car.

For those of you who have crawled under your Taurus you know that the bottom of the car is almost completely flat so there is no-where to run the intake piping. We are running it along the passenger side of the car just under the side skirt. I am losing about an inch of ground clearance but we couldn't see any other way to do it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Can't wait for pics, I hope this works out :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Great thread. Nice to see photos to back up the initial post.

Wonder how hard it would be to supercharge the Vulcan, even something low with upto 6lbs of boost should be a big help in assisting the Taurus on getting out of it's own way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (michakaveli @ Jun 26 2009, 01:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735410

Wonder how hard it would be to supercharge the Vulcan, even something low with upto 6lbs of boost should be a big help in assisting the Taurus on getting out of it's own way.[/b]

I couldn't find a Universal Spercharger kit. I went with Turbo because that's what I found. Is it a pain in the arse to install? Yes. But in the end I think that it will be worth it to see heads turn when the blow off valve opens under a Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan.
I am giggling thinking about it.

Other bolt on's helped earlier. I didn't buy the car because it was a mover. I bought it because I needed a car and Enterprise had a good deal on them. It's what I could afford and bought it. I added the Flowmaster 40 series muffler, throttle spacer, headers, and high flow cat right away. It helped alot and didn't trigger the check engine light. I had to have most of it fabricated at a friends shop so it wasn't that expensive.

I just got an email from Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning Inc. He says they have an sct x3 handheld flasher that will work for me so I do not need the extra ECM I bought. He also wants to get it on the dyno to tune it right but Debary, FL is a long drive from MD.

·
Registered
671 Posts
QUOTE (Sabunimwil @ Jun 26 2009, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735414

Wonder how hard it would be to supercharge the Vulcan, even something low with upto 6lbs of boost should be a big help in assisting the Taurus on getting out of it's own way.[/b]

I couldn't find a Universal Spercharger kit. I went with Turbo because that's what I found. Is it a pain in the arse to install? Yes. But in the end I think that it will be worth it to see heads turn when the blow off valve opens under a Taurus with the 3.0 Vulcan.

Other bolt on's helped earlier. I didn't buy the car because it was a mover. I bought it because I needed a car and Enterprise had a good deal on them. It's what I could afford and bought it. I added the Flowmaster 40 series muffler, throttle spacer, headers, and high flow cat right away. It helped alot and didn't trigger the check engine light. I had to have most of it fabricated at a friends shop so it wasn't that expensive.

I just got an email from Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning Inc. He says they have an sct x3 handheld flasher that will work for me so I do not need the extra ECM I bought. He also wants to get it on the dyno to tune it right but Debary, FL is a long drive from MD.
[/b][/quote]

Nice job so far Bud! Thanks for keeping us posted along the way. Nick and I may have to take to trip and visit once you get it running.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
QUOTE (michakaveli @ Jun 26 2009, 01:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735418
QUOTE (Sabunimwil @ Jun 26 2009, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735414

[/b][/quote]

Nice job so far Bud! Thanks for keeping us posted along the way. Nick and I may have to take to trip and visit once you get it running.
[/b][/quote]

I love company. As long as you like to drink. No driving afterward's though.

1 - 20 of 435 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.