Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kept hearing rubbing popping noise when turning my steering wheel. I head something similar from the front wheel well when going over bumps. Today I was changing my oil at MIDAS and I asked them to take a look. They told me that my struts are going bad. Does this sound right? Struts can cause noises when turning the wheel?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Sure, but how do they know the struts are the source of the noise? You can't see the strut tower bearings until they're disassembled.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure, but how do they know the struts are the source of the noise? You can't see the strut tower bearings until they're disassembled.

Well, that I don't know. Perhaps they just saw some other issue with struts.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mine had bad strut bearing plates that were making the same kind of noise. I replaced mine, and the noise is gone. Mine also rides like a new car again. I used KYB struts on mine, but I was also considering Gabrial ready mount struts as well. I didn't like the Monroe struts that I had on two other vehicles I owned, they didn't last very long before they rode like mush. If you replace struts, you also want to replace the springs. If you replace the springs, you want to replace all four of them, as the ride height will change (alot) compaired to the old springs, and the ride/handling will be horrable. You want to replace the sway bar end links in the front at the same time you replace the struts, since they're plastic pieces of garbage which are a common fail item, and you have to remove them anyway to replace struts. Replace them with heavy duty metal ones that have zerk fittings.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
FYI: the NAPA branded line "quick" struts use Monroe components in their construction, and they're a lot cheaper. I've never had a problem with them either, ride just fine...

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
You might try pouring a little oil down the holes in the top of the strut towers to see if the noise goes away. Do this in gravel or somewhere you dont mind a couple of oil spots. If steering noise remains, i would look at outer tie rod ends.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today, I had the front struts changed for Gabriel Ultras. I can still hear the same rubbing/popping noise when making left turn. I'll use the rights of an unsatisfied customer and have it checked, just for the heck of it.

Oh yeah, the mechanics told me that rear struts are also bad, but not as bad as were the fronts. They told me they had trouble getting them out and showed some scratch marks on their hands.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Today, I had the front struts changed for Gabriel Ultras. I can still hear the same rubbing/popping noise when making left turn. I'll use the rights of an unsatisfied customer and have it checked, just for the heck of it.

Oh yeah, the mechanics told me that rear struts are also bad, but not as bad as were the fronts. They told me they had trouble getting them out and showed some scratch marks on their hands.
Noises while turning can be indicative of CV joints going bad. Sounds like your mechanics are guessing and throwing parts at it at your expense. Scratches on their hands? LOL! Definitely rookies. Find a new shop that actually knows vehicle service...

·
Registered
53 Posts
"Scratches on their hands" lol. they sound like high school students in auto shop...anyways your half shaft(s) could be bad if its making a popping sound while turning. i had the same problem in my old accord...i just ignored it (big mistake) i tried to go to the store one day and my car would not move...turned out the the half shaft bearings inside the boots separated and were just spinning.. it took me a week until i got my car back on the road.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I think the scratched hand was used as an excuse to why it took them 5 hours to do it. (They told me it takes 2 hours). They told me that struts are bad after an oil change before I mentioned noise issues. The car is 65,000 miles. What's a normal interval to replace struts anyways? They has Gabriel and KYB struts for about same price, but I was recommended Gabriel Ultras because they said they seem more people with failed KYB struts coming back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts