Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all-
at 93K my struts are showing signs of wear. I don't really wanna change them myself (no workbench, spring compressors etc). How much should I expect to pay in labor for all four struts? Sears advertises with 109 bucks for labor per strut. I think that's steep.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I called sears last wk for them same on my gen 3.

The qouted 490 & odd for all 4.

$271 for the front alone. This includes 4 wheel alignment & LT warranty
Note they did not include strut mounts. When asked thye said lik 60 someting per mount. I was like S#[email protected]# you. The mounts are like $23 bucks at the dealer

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Also if you do it urself, take pics if possible. Alot of folks here said they would but did not post anything.... :angry:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sundarpn-
are the 490 bucks just labor or do they include the struts? If all four struts are included that sounds like a good deal.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@May 24 2004, 08:53 AM
Also if you do it urself, take pics if possible. Alot of folks here said they would but did not post anything.... :angry:
If you are refering to me..... sorry. I've just been BEYOND busy... and waiting for additional parts to arrive. I'll take pics just for you. I promise!

I've only had 1 day off in the last month. And the girlfriend took that <_<

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
If you are going to get them replaced I would do the rears first to head off that sagging a** syndrome. Then I would do the fronts when you get a set of lowering springs to make it look nicer.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@May 26 2004, 04:48 PM
If you are going to get them replaced I would do the rears first to head off that sagging a** syndrome. Then I would do the fronts when you get a set of lowering springs to make it look nicer.
Replacing rear struts won't do anything for the sagging. It is the SPRINGS themselves that sag, so you would need to replace those. All struts do is dampen forces, they have nothing to do with holding the car up.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
I disagree. I have an old Strut of of my car that I can fully depress with little effort. I do not see how this could just be caused by the springs, since the struts are rigid for the most part.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Zeptoplix@May 27 2004, 08:11 AM
I disagree. I have an old Strut of of my car that I can fully depress with little effort. I do not see how this could just be caused by the springs, since the struts are rigid for the most part.
Struts are not rigid. Yes a new strut is a bit harder to compress than an old one, because when they start to leak they lose pressure, but the force they exert is negligible compared to that of the spring. Try installing a strut on your car without the spring, it ain't gonna hold the car up. Also, good luck trying to compress a coil spring by hand the amount that you compressed the strut by hand. The strut's job is to dampen the harmonic motion of the spring. Believe me, the sagging is due to springs. I just had to replace my front springs because one snapped, and I thought my car's height was normal before that. Now you can clearly tell the front is higher than the rear, so I had sagging springs both front and rear. Simply put, Ford coil springs are junk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts