Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Sable with 42,000 miles. I read somewhere that struts should be replaced at 50,000 miles. If this is the case are there any step by step instructions on this site? I was reading something about a parcel tray....what is that?? Any pictures?? Are the rear struts very difficult?? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Replacing the struts are not really needed unless they no longer cushion the bumps or are leaking fluid. Some here say to replace them, but I never have unless there's something actually wrong with them. To test the struts just go out and try bouncing the car by hand a few times, then let go. If the car stops boucing withing a bounce and a half they're good, but if the car continues to bounce more then that they need replacement.

The parcel shelf as many refer it as, is just the fabric panel covering the whole rear deck where the rear speakers are. To remove that you'll need to remove the back rest of the rear seat. Just 4 bolts hold it in I believe. Then you have access to the strut mount nuts.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You can do it at 50k or you can wait till they go bad. Your rear springs are propably sagging or will sag soon. Seems to be common with the Taurus.

The rear struts are fairly easy to replace.

We do have some strut options here: SHO Source

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
It's one of those suggested items that you don't really need to follow. If they're bad, they can cause excessive tire wear. The quick struts from Monroe are probably the way to go. I think my rear coil springs went at around 80k and they were the originals. I still have the originals in the front, but haven't gotten around to getting a new front set yet. I've got about 107k on the car now. They still seem to work fine. Getting new ones in the rear certainly restores the ride height and makes it look normal.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
When replacing struts you may as well replace the springs, too. I used quickstruts with my old car and wow, what a difference, but the car had over 140k on it when I decided they needed it-things were getting pretty sloppy and bouncey. Unless you have a ride problem or the struts are leaking fluid out, you don't need new struts, unless you are adding suspension mods to your ride.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I believe the 50k rating for the suspension.

We have an '03 Focus and an '07 Focus. Both are base SE models. They get parked right next to each other. The '03 was purchased used and the '07 brand new. The '03 has 55k miles and the '07 has 6k miles. The '03 has factory suspension and it sits about an inch lower than the '07 and slams into speed bumps on the rebound while the '07 takes speed bumps without bottoming out.

My Taurus has 62k miles on factory suspension and the nose moves up and down horribly on take-off and braking. I scrape the bottom of the front bumper on the bottom of steep driveways when it rebounds backing in the street.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts