Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a video on the topic finder about strut removal and spring replacement. After watching it, I have 2 questions. When removing the strut do you have to remove the ball joint from the control arm or can you just loosen the pinch bolt to detach the bottom part of the strut? Also It says on the wiki here to use a Pittman arm puller and on the video they did not. Is the arm puller necessary?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Leave the ball joint, drop the subframe. Support the car just behind the rear subframe mount, then position the jack under the subframe. You might not even have to remove the bolts completely, just loosen them. Slowly drop it and slide the strut out of the knuckle at the same time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually talking about the front end. Is removing the pinch bolt the only thing involved in freeing the bottom part of the strut from the control arm?

·
Registered
512 Posts
you may not have to drop the subframe i was able to pull my struts with just taking out the pintch bolt pulling off the end links and the 3 bolts from the top

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've done struts on 1 3rd Gen and 2 4th Gens, and I had to lower the subframe every time. I also had to undo the ball joint, as well.

JR

·
Registered
4 Posts
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jan 25 2009, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=695980
Leave the ball joint, drop the subframe. Support the car just behind the rear subframe mount, then position the jack under the subframe. You might not even have to remove the bolts completely, just loosen them. Slowly drop it and slide the strut out of the knuckle at the same time.[/b]
How difficult are these bolts on the Gen IV?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
QUOTE (starliner53 @ Mar 16 2009, 09:56 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709157
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jan 25 2009, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=695980
Leave the ball joint, drop the subframe. Support the car just behind the rear subframe mount, then position the jack under the subframe. You might not even have to remove the bolts completely, just loosen them. Slowly drop it and slide the strut out of the knuckle at the same time.[/b]
How difficult are these bolts on the Gen IV?
[/b][/quote]
No more difficult than any other bolt.

It's an 18mm bolt, IIRC, and it's long, 4-5 inches. Grab a 1/2" breaker bar and an 18mm socket, support the subframe, and start going to town. After you're done with the subframe, and you reinstall the bolts, hit them liberally with some Never Seize, then torque them to...50-76 lb/ft.

JR

·
Registered
5 Posts
Noise in rear end

last week I was sitting at a red light, light changed and I heard a noise that sounded like a big spring hitting metal i pulled in a lot and looked under the car but nothing was hanging down and i bounced the car and it didnt make any noise, i just had a rear brake job done 4 months ago, b4 that i had heard a noise that sounded like a Ping sometimes when i would let off the brake. anyone have any thoughts of what i should do?
its an 2007 taurus Sel with 70K on it

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
I have changed front struts in 2 gen 1s and a gen 4. I did not have to lower the subframe in any of these cases.

·
Registered
10,116 Posts
Spring

last week I was sitting at a red light, light changed and I heard a noise that sounded like a big spring hitting metal i pulled in a lot and looked under the car but nothing was hanging down and i bounced the car and it didnt make any noise, i just had a rear brake job done 4 months ago, b4 that i had heard a noise that sounded like a Ping sometimes when i would let off the brake. anyone have any thoughts of what i should do?
its an 2007 taurus Sel with 70K on it
Likely a front spring, first break. They will break again, and next time it will be worse. Been there done that. '95 and'01.

Attached pic.

Note: the recall add on shield was too late to protect the spring from wheel throwing rocks and sand and cutting the plastic coating from the spring, thus causing rust under the coating and the first break.

I heard it break on the '01. Did not fall down, no driving issues, but, I know more is on the way.

-chart-

·
Administrator
14,357 Posts
I replaced the drivers front strut without dropping the subframe. A lot of cursing, but it was possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts