Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would it cost to replace all 4 strut mounts and struts...cause i can barely control my car....

also a CV joint may be messed up...i have heard horror stories about the CV snapping while enroute...

total how much?

X

·
0 Posts
A couple of days ago, I was browsing www.kragen.com or www.autozone.com (can't remember which), but I saw a strut kit from monroe. Also www.fordpartsnetwork.com (fpn) should ahve them there as well.

Depending on struts, the cost of those can vary a lot. For the cost of the oem ones from fpn you can probably get the kyb's since the price difference is less than $10 per strut if you wish to go that route. If not, you can get some monroe/gabriels for a lot less.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I would also suggest looking on eBay for struts. While i didn't get my mounts replaced(my passenger rear one is bad as I have found out after the fact), I got 4 new Gabriel struts(with their VST technology) for $165 shipped. I found a place that gave me an awesome deal on installation labour and the whole job cost me just under $335.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
is Replacing struts (and related) a hi-tech job or is an avg. mechanic good enough for that.

Also what kinda of total labour costs am I looking at. I want the front two replaced.
I dont care much abt the back ones...

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Mechanic quoted me $60 in labor for each side on the front. With struts, mounts and bearings, about $230-$250 would be a really good deal. You can get front struts on ebay pretty cheaply; I remember a surplus store posting auctions for front monroe sensatraks for a starting price of $24.95. I ended up getting a pair for $30 ($50 total with shipping) from them.

Doing this yourself shouldn't be that hard either; the only special tool you would need is a spring compressor and some auto stores lets you rent them for a nominal fee. Just get a couple of friends and a case of beer (beer after the job of course) and you can make a day out of it.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
well the problem DIY, is those damm NUTS there in the suspension... some are just so tight esp in an older car..

and besides spring compressor (the Right one!), i'll need good jack stands, torque wrench, a well equipped tool box, caliper related stuff... and a few mechanically inclined friends..

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Dec 12 2003, 01:19 PM
well the problem DIY, is those damm NUTS there in the suspension... some are just so tight esp in an older car..

and besides spring compressor (the Right one!), i'll need good jack stands, torque wrench, a well equipped tool box, caliper related stuff... and a few mechanically inclined friends..
and a lot of beer, trust me.
Make sure you get some penetrating oil. Rust sucks when trying to get bolts off.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Originally posted by mooler@Dec 12 2003, 02:17 AM
How much would it cost to replace all 4 strut mounts and struts...cause i can barely control my car....

also a CV joint may be messed up...i have heard horror stories about the CV snapping while enroute...

total how much?
I found my local sears auto center to be the cheapest for this. I got a quote for the 2 rear and it came to $120. This was $60 per side, $30 parts and $30 labor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts