Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if these are gas filled or fluid filled struts on the rear of the sedans, but my right rear strut has spots of a wet, oily fluid on it.

The car was up in the air and the rr tire was off. I was able to pick up on the drum and compress the spring and strut :blink: a good amount .,.. when I did I could hear what sounded like air or hydraulic fluid seeping out of the strut. Now i understand that being able to compress it is a result of a weak spring, but the seeping noise probably is bad.

I'm guessing this isn't normal - is time for new struts? :( :angry: :unsure:

And also, can I buy sway bar brackets online anywhere? I appear to have destroyed my right rear bracket.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Sounds like the hydraulic fluid is leaking! Time for new struts as you should not be able compress them.

We do have struts at SHO Source if need be.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you guys sell the brackets for the swaybars? Looks like I need a bracket.

Looking at the top of the strut towers ... kind of scared me ... I'm starting to worry that it might actually be too rusty to change the struts.

I might just keep driving with the bad springs and struts depending on how long I plan on keeing the car.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Replace the struts with quick struts, they're already loaded with new springs, as far as the plastic swaybar endlinks, this is the time to replace them with metal ones. If the strut towers are really bad, I wouldn't bother with new struts, just drive it til the doors fall off (or rust off).

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Pictures of the strut tower rust?

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We can get them if needed. Just email us.
[/b]
If I can get mine back int oshape I might do that. At the moment there aren't any SHOs in junkyards.

Replace the struts with quick struts, they're already loaded with new springs, as far as the plastic swaybar endlinks, this is the time to replace them with metal ones. If the strut towers are really bad, I wouldn't bother with new struts, just drive it til the doors fall off (or rust off).
[/b]
The endlinks are metal ones from Autozone. They are actually pretty good. With my car, it is entirely possible that the doors rust off.

Pictures of the strut tower rust?
[/b]
I can get them

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<div class='quotemain'> You should get your next Taurus down here, they don't rust [/b]
They do once you take them up North and drive them in the winter :thumb:
[/b][/quote]

I imagine after I did my first oil change on it, the rust shouldn't be too much of an issue. A vulcan has more than enough oil to give a car an undercoating.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You mean they leak enough oil to undercoat. Mine is aleady staring to seep a little from the oil pan! Not bad for a 2 year old car, lol. I'm going to wait til it does undercoat my car, as a two year old car shouldn't leak oil yet.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh no not leaking. When I drain the oil, I spray it underneath the car.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
You mean they leak enough oil to undercoat. Mine is aleady staring to seep a little from the oil pan! Not bad for a 2 year old car, lol. I'm going to wait til it does undercoat my car, as a two year old car shouldn't leak oil yet.
[/b]
Use RTV when you replace the gasket.

I'll post up a "Vulcan Stop Leak" repair thread soon.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I still have a long time before it starts making a mess out of the drive, I get bottom blast everytime I wash it, so that helps with that part. My last oil change I noticed some damp looking spots around the gasket. It looks like kinda a pain to remove that flange under it and the pipe from above, though. That's why I'm in no hurry to do it til it really needs it, hopfully not before I get the '10 Taurus. I used to call my old Buick "Puddles" becouse that was what it left behind for me to clean up when I finally went back to Ford. I don't know if spraying oil under a car will stop it from rusting, they do sell undercoating in a can. Mother earth will thank you.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I still have a long time before it starts making a mess out of the drive, I get bottom blast everytime I wash it, so that helps with that part. My last oil change I noticed some damp looking spots around the gasket. It looks like kinda a pain to remove that flange under it and the pipe from above, though. That's why I'm in no hurry to do it til it really needs it, hopfully not before I get the '10 Taurus. I used to call my old Buick "Puddles" becouse that was what it left behind for me to clean up when I finally went back to Ford. I don't know if spraying oil under a car will stop it from rusting, they do sell undercoating in a can. Mother earth will thank you.
[/b]
You have to remove the exhaust manifold. I did it by myself.. but do it when you wont need the car for 2 days. (gotta let the RTV set.)

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
You have to remove the exhaust manifold. I did it by myself.. but do it when you wont need the car for 2 days. (gotta let the RTV set.)
[/b][/quote]

Don't you mean the Y-Pipe? :p

The only reason I haven't changed my oil pan gasket is because I do not want to fight with that damn Y-Pipe. The car just isn't worth it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

The only reason I haven't changed my oil pan gasket is because I do not want to fight with that damn Y-Pipe. The car just isn't worth it.
[/b][/quote]

Manifold... y-pipe.. big deal :rolleyes2: :p

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Manifold... y-pipe.. big deal :rolleyes2: :p
[/b][/quote]
It's a LOT bigger pain on a rust belt car...it all rusts together and you break everything trying to get the bolts off. When my old '93 needed an oil pan we took it to Midas and had them break everything loose, which saves time since they have a lift and lets them break anything that's going to break.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts