Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make strobes using the 168 bulb! anyone have an idea on how to do this? I want to do this to color match my grill to the strobes! I want them to flash like christmas lights but faster! How do I do this? I also want an on/off switch in my car but nothing permanant. any mounting ideas for the switch?
thanks

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I don't think you can modify the bulb to flash. But you can install a flasher into the circuit to make it flash.

For the switch, goto Radio Shack and get a "Push-On/Off Button" switch and put that in the dimmer dial panel. That's be pretty neat looking.

I really like your lightbar. You should really try making it flash KITT style.

·
Registered
281 Posts
They will not look like strobes. Incandescent bulbs are current Vs heat sensitive, which is why they turn on and off so much slower than LED's. You would do a much better job by replacing the bulbs with LED's, or using cold cathode lamps. You can get cold cathode neon lamps cheaply from electronics surplus and project shops; look online for them. Much cheaper than the stuff that's sold with protective housings for car and audio use, and would be well protected in the lamp housing.

The LED's would be better suited for "Christmas style" flashing, but fairly complicated if you do not have an electrical engineering background. You can't do that type of flashing with just relays or flashers beyond a 1/2 alternating flash. You would have to build several circuits, and synch them or time them.

I must warn you, though, that having flashing lights visible from the front or rear lamps is illegal, so watch your useage. They can stretch the rules and arrest you for impersonation of a police officer if you give them reason to. At the least they can give you a ticket for having distracting lighting on your car, and make you remove it. These should be for non-road use only.

A tip: If you use either LED's (and it will take hundreds of them, mind you) or cold cathode tubes, get a piece of clear dispersion plastic like used for ceiling fluorescent lighting. You want to place it between the lamps and the clear lens of the lamp assembly. You need it because you will not be able to take advantage of the reflectors that were designed for the 168 bulbs.

As an example, I turned the Fishtanks on my SHO into turn signals as part of my Hella lighting kit. Each 1.75" x 5" lamp has 32 orange high-flux 3mm LED's to make the light appear even. I did not use anything to disperse the light from the LED's, and doing so you can use less, especially for the lightbar which does not have any DOT lumens requirements, but you would still need maybe 1 per square inch to keep it from looking spotty.

Making either strobe is pretty easy, and you can find plans for circuits all over the net by doing a simple google search. The only thing you will need to do is modify a given circuit to handle the current you need to drive the lamps. Look for a simple flasher circuit designed to push an LED or two, then modify it to drive a high current, quick transition transistor.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Is flashing at the same rate as the turn signal good enough? Maybe you can get an electronic flasher from an auto parts store and wire that into the circuit.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The only thing I can think of is to get a turn signal flasher from an auto parts store. Then put that and a resister in the cicruit so the flasher thinks there's a bulb burned out. It should flash fast now. But then, it sounds like a crappy idea and maybe there's a better one on Google.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts