Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

So, basically, my car won't start, and we don't know why. We've measured the mA of the battery, and it's usually 12.37 while turned off (which is a change from when it was being drained by something...). Now the problem is that it won't start period, unless a jump is used, in which case it runs perfectly on the road. Now, for all of you experts, this is what's happening:
The battery will actually rise now on its own, but even with 12.36mA, it won't start, and when we do try to start it, it just does that super-fast "click"ing noise from the get-go. After trying to start it, we checked the mA of the battery, and it was ~10mA. Tried it again, and it went down to ~6mA. After a short period of time it rose to ~12.3mA again...we're totally at a lose as to what's happening now. Seems as though whenever we try to turn on the car, it just sucks a massive amount of juice from the battery all at once.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, as I can not drive my own car until it's fixed...blah...

·
Registered
405 Posts
mA is the abreviation for milliamps - and you're giving numbers for voltage. so I assume you're reading the wrong scale on a multimeter. More than likely your battery is near dead - or your battery terminals are coroded. Jump start the car and bring it to an auto parts store (Advance or Autozone or another) to have them check the battery.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
mA is the abreviation for milliamps - and you're giving numbers for voltage. so I assume you're reading the wrong scale on a multimeter. More than likely your battery is near dead - or your battery terminals are coroded. Jump start the car and bring it to an auto parts store (Advance or Autozone or another) to have them check the battery.
Right, my bad. Is there a possibility that it's the starter? It's had 142k miles on it, and it was a fleet car for 141k of those miles...

Oh, and we just replaced the old battery about two or so months ago.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Right, my bad. Is there a possibility that it's the starter? It's had 142k miles on it, and it was a fleet car for 141k of those miles...

Oh, and we just replaced the old battery about two or so months ago.
Yes, especially if the battery is new. Worn out starter windings can draw a lot of current, to the point where a good battery can not deliver enough Cold Cranking Amps to turn it over unless jumped with another battery ( higher CCA, 2 batts. in parallel) Starter is not that hard or $ to DIY, but have your alternator/charging system checked for free by Advance or AZ first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts