Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put new tires on approx 3000 miles ago (falken sincera 828s, have round/square rotation holes in tread), have noticed front right tire is wearing much faster than the other three. wear is even across tire and ive checked ball joints and done the 3/9 and 12/6 test and nothing seems loose. car has 142000 miles on it only new suspension parts is endlinks all else original. anybody have any ideas what might ne wrong???

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's possible it's a defective tire with an improper belt layup. That happens. I had that happen on some new Bridgestones. The dealer warranteed the tire for me. They first tried to blame the suspension, the struts, the alignment, etc.. But it was a poorly manufactured tire.

Rotate the tires and watch for wear in the position you are now having trouble.

Keep proper air pressure in all tires.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Just put new tires on approx 3000 miles ago (falken sincera 828s, have round/square rotation holes in tread), have noticed front right tire is wearing much faster than the other three. wear is even across tire and ive checked ball joints and done the 3/9 and 12/6 test and nothing seems loose. car has 142000 miles on it only new suspension parts is endlinks all else original. anybody have any ideas what might ne wrong???
Noticed front right is wearing much faster... how? Are you saying the tread depth is even across the tire that's wearing faster - what are you seeing that's different than the others?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Noticed front right is wearing much faster... how? Are you saying the tread depth is even across the tire that's wearing faster - what are you seeing that's different than the others?
the tires I put on have rotation indicators built in the tread. on the inside and outside of the tread there is a circle in the tread, when the circle is worn away a square shows meaning time for rotating, when the square is worn away rotate again. I rotate every 5000 anyway, but this is how I know that the front right tire is wearing faster than the others. it is showing squares both inside and outside, while the others are still showing circles.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/falken/product/submitProductSize.do?r=GAAINT%7Cpc%7C30189&pc=18170

·
Registered
405 Posts
Interesting.

As suggested above, it may be a defective tire.

Other possible reasons are: Single pole differential - when you accelerate, more, or all of the power is being applied to the right than the left, and/or the brake on the right front is grabbing more than the other(s).

I'd take Barkentine's suggestion - rotate the tires and watch the wear - or bring it back /complain to the retailer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
switched out the two fronts...will see how it does over the next few miles...rotation is due in about 2000 miles

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Interesting.

As suggested above, it may be a defective tire.

Other possible reasons are: Single pole differential - when you accelerate, more, or all of the power is being applied to the right than the left, and/or the brake on the right front is grabbing more than the other(s).

I'd take Barkentine's suggestion - rotate the tires and watch the wear - or bring it back /complain to the retailer.

Exactly. I went without rotating them too long on my last car (bad...not like me) and the right front was definitely a lot more worn than the other tires.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The Taurus has an open diff, so the power goes to the wheel with the least traction.
I am betting a alignment, bent suspension or broken spring issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all for the replies...have the tires rotated in about 2000 miles will check wear then and alignment.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
front tire wearing quickly after i switched it out, thinking of getting alignment checked at dealer, what else should i check? suspension is all original in front except for endlinks. could the struts be affecting wear?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Sure, a bad spring will throw your camber off,but negative camber would eat the inside of your tire, you said the tire was even across the tread which would indicate a toe issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sure, a bad spring will throw your camber off,but negative camber would eat the inside of your tire, you said the tire was even across the tread which would indicate a toe issue.

Your exactly right, just got an alignment at dealership and the toe was slightly out. no other suspension issues......very impressed as the front suspension is all original minus endlinks....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts