Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been this hissing noise coming from just below the shifter console since my sibling has owned this car. It sounds like a vacuum leak but i checked the only 2 vacuum hoses that plug in near that location under the center console and they both are in perfect condition. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?
The noise is defiantly not metal on metal and slightly changes pitches depending on engine RPM. IE When you shift from Park to Drive.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
351 Posts
Disconnect your brake booster line and plug the vacuum line, then see if the noise stops. If it goes away, time for a new booster.

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
Does the car have a vacuum operated automatic parking brake release that will disengage the park brake when tranny is put in gear? If so, pull the center console and have a look at the vacuum switch itself and the hoses going to the vac switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help, I was able to locate the the issue, its a plastic lever action part that has 2 vacuum lines attached that i believe redirects vacuum pressure when shifting from park to reverse /drive. I have the part number but i am unable to locate a replacement. Part number FODC-2B623-BA
The vacuum lines are connected to the plastic nipple B and S, K is blocked off in the plastic mold.
If i am unable to locate the part in a junk yard then I have a few options left.
Option 1: Block off the lines
Option 2: attach the lines from B to S
Option 3: Leave the lines in the center console and pretend that everything is fine
Option 4: Light the car on fire and roll it down a hill.

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
I am pretty sure that is the vacuum switch for the vacuum operated automatic parking brake release when the car is put it D, 2, 1 or R. Not a big deal, as virtually no one uses the parking brake anymore anyway (except me, as I currently own have owned quite a few stick shift cars over the last 45 years).

Finding one at the JY may be difficult as I dont think the auto park brake release was a common option.

Reactions: sheila

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good, I don't think the vacuum operated parking brake release has ever been functional on this vehicle since my family member has owned it. I will be heading to the junkyard tomorrow to locate a couple of parts for the EGR system, turn signal headlight casing and rear bumper. If i'm unable to locate a replacement part should i cap the vacuum line or connect the two vacuum lines?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, thank you for taking the time to respond to the forum post of some random person. I really appreciate that you would take the time to assist me in getting a family members vehicle back into running order.
If you have any questions pertaining to technology just let me know.

·
Super Moderator
8,110 Posts
Cap the vac line if you cant find a replacement vac switch. For reliability in the future, you may want to trace the offending vac line from the vac switch to under the hood, remove the line from its vac source, and cap off the vacuum supply at the source.

FYI, I love my 95 GL Vulcan. Got it for free back in 2010, and except for a few very minor issues that were cheap and easy to fix, it has been VERY reliable, gets 30 miles per gallon on the interstate, and the AC still blows ice cold. Major issue starting is some rust (I live in the heart of the rust belt and the 95 is my official winter car), which I try to keep ahead of.

Reactions: snosaint
1 - 8 of 8 Posts