Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so yesterday I was in a bad mood, and decided i needed to drive for a bit to calm down. I started the car put it on drive and gunned it. Got to a stop but not before hitting about 5k rpm possibly slightly more. I slowed down to what i would say a complete stop, i gunned it again and there was about a 1-2 second delay nothing at all, no response no nothing, as i look down at the dash my rpm gauge kicked up to about 3k without the car moving it felt like i had just gotten plowed by a car behind me the tranny kicked into gear at about 3k, i got kicked back to my seat and all my lights and stereo went out for about 1 second. After that the car drove fine. I also got a really bad burning smell for a split second.

I scratched my head and prayed i hadn't just blown my tranny. Car has been driving fine since, the only issue i see now is when i'm rolling at about 10-15 and i throw it into 1st gear it doesn't always kick in right away, up to 5 second delay before it does and it feels like it struggles to go into 1st. :( Could it be? am i phacked?? did i screw myself in a moment of rage?. Everything else drives fine but I can't feel but to be a tad concerned.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
wow, thats interesting. since you ran it so hard you should double check your lines for leaks and recheck your fluid just incase you popped anything while running it hard :huh: . and i have no idea why your lights and stereo shut off, you have me stumped there. :huh:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I am interested... My old tranny I just replaced did the same misterious thing...

Every now and then I would hit a stop light, hit the gas at teh green, and the PRM's would shoot up... no foreward movement.

Once the RPM's fell back down. i fould get it to go ... this was a severe tranny slippage... if that is what happened, you can only expect it to increase in occurences.

the tranny will need to be replaced eventually... more than likely.

FYI, love your taurus, don't take your revenge out on it :) It takes you where you want to go... which is most likely somewhere other than pushing it later on

Explain in more detail exaclty what happend please?

the lights and stuff going off was more than likely the cars way of saying, "O S#^t" probably has not happened again since right...The burning smell could have been your belt on a stuck alternator.. check it...

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
gunned it again and there was about a 1-2 second delay nothing at all, no response no nothing, as i look down at the dash my rpm gauge kicked up to about 3k without the car moving it felt like i had just gotten plowed by a car behind me the tranny kicked into gear at about 3k[/b]
tranny temp sensor could had failed. it happened on my friends SHO...all the power seem to have shut off, car felt choking, and it reved really high but not going anywhere..oh yeah..weird shifting...really hard too

·
Registered
149 Posts
How does the trans temp sensor affect shifting and/or engagement of the tc? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
QUOTE (Jivvity @ May 16 2009, 07:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725691
How does the trans temp sensor affect shifting and/or engagement of the tc? :dunno:[/b]
PCM uses the TFT sensor to determine if its appropriate to lock the T/C (won't lock below 65F), transmission over heat and probably a few other things. If its open, like a lot of sensors, things will work erratically.

There should be a delay in the transmission shifting if you command it to use first gear(1) on the gear shift.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I had that problem last Fall, and it went away as soon as I replaced the VSS.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
You would get a code if the TFT sensor was bad. And even if below 65F after a set amount of time it should still be commanded to lock up.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
QUOTE (Sharky8513 @ May 16 2009, 01:53 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=725611
Alright so yesterday I was in a bad mood, and decided i needed to drive for a bit to calm down. I started the car put it on drive and gunned it. Got to a stop but not before hitting about 5k rpm possibly slightly more. I slowed down to what i would say a complete stop, i gunned it again and there was about a 1-2 second delay nothing at all, no response no nothing, as i look down at the dash my rpm gauge kicked up to about 3k without the car moving it felt like i had just gotten plowed by a car behind me the tranny kicked into gear at about 3k, i got kicked back to my seat and all my lights and stereo went out for about 1 second. After that the car drove fine. I also got a really bad burning smell for a split second.

I scratched my head and prayed i hadn't just blown my tranny. Car has been driving fine since, the only issue i see now is when i'm rolling at about 10-15 and i throw it into 1st gear it doesn't always kick in right away, up to 5 second delay before it does and it feels like it struggles to go into 1st. :( Could it be? am i phacked?? did i screw myself in a moment of rage?. Everything else drives fine but I can't feel but to be a tad concerned.[/b]

1st gear typically wont engage until it drops below 10MPH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts