Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have a 2011 Taurus SEL and I just found a problem with my rear brake pad wear. On the drivers side rear brake, the outside pad has worn down to the metal, but the other 3 pads are showing normal wear. The caliper seems to move properly, with no corrosion on the piston and the guide pins on the mounting bracket are well lubricated and moving freely, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

zog

·
Registered
35 Posts
Test and inspect the piston: With a wood block in place to prevent excess movement (no more than about 1/8") have a friend tap the brake pedal gently. The piston should slightly extend and then return to the previous position. Use your fingernail or a piece of plastic to gently peel back the piston boot while the piston is extended to the point where it was when it was first removed. Closely examine the piston for rust. More than a few drops of brake fluid on the piston indicates a leak. Where all of the contact points for the pads and caliper lubed? Was the correct high temp lube used?

·
Registered
10,036 Posts
I saw such one time with a friend. Front right outer pad wearing way faster than the inside pad. Guide pins were very free. However I had this guy bolt up the guide pins to the caliper with no pads in the yoke. Once the bolts were tightened it was bound up. Somewhere there was mis-alignment in the pins or the yoke. He bought the whole assembly new and it fixed the issue.
-chart-

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi @chartmaker

Thanks for your thoughts. I've found a manufacturer refurbished bracket for $25 USD online. I'll swap the bracket first and if that doesn't solve the problem, I'll order a new caliper.

I'll post my results when I figure this out.

zog

1 - 4 of 4 Posts