Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 sel 24v
my wife just called me she has car today said when she started car nothing electrical worked no radio ,windows... abs light stayed on she drove about 100 yards she said then turn car of restarted all was ok, she said she thinks she herd some kinda squeak like a belt noise.
i have not seen car yet will see after work she said all is ok now on it,
but i want to double check what can have cause that to happen?

thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have actually experience a very similar problem with my 98 Taurus. The key actually gets hung up between the on and start positions and does not spring back completely into the on position after starting. When this happens none of the electrical equipment on the car works, as your wife experienced. This happens VERY rarely (maybe only once or twice) and I found the best way to resolve it is jiggling the key to the on position or simply restarting. Not really sure why this happens, but that seems to be the cause for me.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Only thing I can suggest is to check for fault codes, and take a look at the Freeze Frame data.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some more info my wife mention on 2nd restart she had to turn key back, i think ignition spring lock is faulty?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by sameboy@Jun 30 2004, 12:42 PM
ok what is freeze frame data
It's apparently a table that you can look at with a scan tool.

When the car sets a fault, it also reads all the other sensors and stuff, and records all this data on the 'Freeze Frame'. It helps the guy who is stuck trying to figure out what exactly went wrong and cause the fault to be set.

More than that, well, I'm still on the bottom of the learning curve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yah, sounds very similar to the problem I have experienced with my car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts