Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 taurus vulcan temp gauge went up. sensor seemed to stop working. turned on ac to turn on fans to get car home. The car ran very rough and stalled out a few times Temp gauge went down with fans on. last two miles drive home car started running fine without the ac local roads. next day fine for a two mile trip no ac fans worked. today fans work but engine light saying engine running hot, but gauge says its fine. No stalling. anyone have this problem

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input is the error code

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
2001 taurus vulcan temp gauge went up. sensor seemed to stop working. turned on ac to turn on fans to get car home. The car ran very rough and stalled out a few times Temp gauge went down with fans on. last two miles drive home car started running fine without the ac local roads. next day fine for a two mile trip no ac fans worked. today fans work but engine light saying engine running hot, but gauge says its fine. No stalling. anyone have this problem

P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input is the error code
I'm not sure about your issue, but the best advice I can give you is to never, EVER let that engine run hot again, unless you like replacing engines or doing head jobs. The heads will blow when you get this engine hot.

I'd hate to see you come back here with a bad engine, make sure she stays cool until you resolve your issue. :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermistor screwed into a coolant passage in the cylinder head. Sensor resistance is high when coolant temperature is low and resistance drops when coolant temperature increases. The powertrain control module (PCM) provides a 5 volt reference and a ground to the sensor. The PCM monitors voltage drop to determine coolant temperature. If the ECT reads less than freezing temp. when engine has been running for more than a few minutes, the PCM determines a circuit fault and sets this code. Or if the PCM determines the sensor resistance is out of specs, this code is set.

A code P0118 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
A bad connection at the sensor
An open in the ground circuit between the ECT sensor and the PCM
A short in the voltage feed between the sensor and the PCM
A bad PCM (less likely)
A bad temperature sensor (shorted internally)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor is a thermistor screwed into a coolant passage in the cylinder head. Sensor resistance is high when coolant temperature is low and resistance drops when coolant temperature increases. The powertrain control module (PCM) provides a 5 volt reference and a ground to the sensor. The PCM monitors voltage drop to determine coolant temperature. If the ECT reads less than freezing temp. when engine has been running for more than a few minutes, the PCM determines a circuit fault and sets this code. Or if the PCM determines the sensor resistance is out of specs, this code is set.

A code P0118 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
A bad connection at the sensor
An open in the ground circuit between the ECT sensor and the PCM
A short in the voltage feed between the sensor and the PCM
A bad PCM (less likely)
A bad temperature sensor (shorted internally)
The car is running with temp gauge is saying car running normal templ Fans going full speed. Is the car drivable like this?

·
Registered
405 Posts
The sensor that the temp guage uses and the sensor that the PCM is reading and which controls the fans are different. you should determine which is faulty and replace the sensor or repair the problem. As long as the car isn't overheating my guess is you should be okay using the car, but that's only my guess.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts