Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to this forum and hoping someone came across this issue before because I am honestly out of ideas.
I have a 99 ford taurus 3.0 single overhead cam that is possesed by a gremlin. It's been having a few fuel issues since last summer. After it's been driven for a while sometimes it would start sputtering at low idle,usually on a red light and then die. If you wait 10 minutes for it to cool it'll start back up just fine and drive beautifully.I changed fuel pump fuse and relay and it seemed to fix the issue. Then when the cold hit this winter fuel pump gave up it's ghost and I got another one from pull and save and replaced the pump and filter.Drove just fine till about a week ago.
Now it seems to start flipping out on me again--rpms are dropping on a red light--very intermittently and usually when I am not the one driving it.I wonder if the fact that we're back to hot weather again is affecting it--it hit 80 for the first time this week and the problems showed up again. The issues last summer also coincided with with weather getting hot.
Also the mpg went to total crap a few months ago and it dropped in power some --not sure if it's related.
I am starting to suspect fuel pressure regulator but since the problem is so intermittent it's hard to check.
Anyone has any ideas--thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
The idle control could be dirty, or MAF could be dirty as well, likely the MAF if it's only in hotter weather. Does it miss at all under acceleration?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly it's missing on low idle--right when switched to drive from park or slowing down to a stop sign.Sort of a surging feeling and then it rights itself up after a few seconds.Or dies lol.Problem is it won't do it with any sort of predictability--no rhyme or reason for it. the only permanent element in this problem is hot temperature outside.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like a fuel pressure issue to me. Check vacuum line to the regulator. You can also unplug the vacuum line to see if it changes anything. Does this issue seem to to happen more when low on fuel? That would point to fuel pump. Any black smoke or sooted tailpipe would point to regulator which would also cause poor mpgs as you mentioned. Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts